Lies by Michael Grant

Title: Lies
Written by: Michael Grant
Release date: May, 2010
Pages: 447
Source: Egmont UK

My Feelings:



Description:
It's been seven months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.
It happens in one night. A girl who died now walks among the living; Zil and the Human Crew set fire to Perdido Beach; and amid the flames and smoke, Sam sees the figure of the boy he fears the most: Drake. But Drake is dead. Sam and Caine defeated him along with the Darkness—or so they thought.
As Perdido Beach burns, battles rage: Astrid against the Town Council; the Human Crew versus the mutants; and Sam against Drake, who is back from the dead and ready to finish where he and Sam left off. And all the while deadly rumors are raging like the fire itself, spread by the prophetess Orsay and her companion, Nerezza. They say that death is a way to escape the FAYZ. Conditions are worse than ever and kids are desperate to get out. But are they desperate enough to believe that death will set them free?

My Review:
After reading Gone and Hunger I was excited to read the third book in this series. But unfortunately I had a hard time getting into it.

Sam behaved like a little child. I know, he’s young, but when he didn’t get what he wanted he got all angry and mad. His behaviour was very childish and I started to dislike him.

Virtue and Sanjit, the new characters, really stood out. I liked these brothers, they where funny and just so feisty. But unfortunately there where too many characters. Too read all of their thoughts was a bit too much for me. I rather only have read thoughts of the main characters. And I could not believe that after reading ONE book Sanjit could fly a helicopter. Seriously? Is he super smart or something?

There was a lot of talking going on (duh, Lies?)and I had to wait a very long time for the action to kick in. So, yeah I really would have liked if the action would have come in earlier, but it was still great near the end. I loved the suspense and I was on the edge of my seat to see if what Nerezza said was true. I still have my doubts if the world that we saw outside of the FAYZ is true, so I’m hoping that we get to see more of it in the next book.

Lies is not my favourite book in the Gone series, but it’s still enjoyable. I cannot wait to see what’s coming for these characters in the fourth book, Plague.

Kelsey  – (25 juli 2011 om 07:54)  

I've been meaning to check this series out for awhile. Sorry you didn't like this one more, but it does seem like an intriguing series!

Nice review!

vvb32 reads  – (25 juli 2011 om 08:23)  

i haven't tried this series yet. but, interested premise.

Missie  – (25 juli 2011 om 08:40)  

Eke. Sam temper tantrums don't sound appealing at all. The amount of characters does sound a bit overwhelming. Hopefully things will get toned down in the fourth book.

Jenny  – (25 juli 2011 om 08:46)  

Shoot. It's always frustrating when a character you've liked previously starts behaving in a way that alters your previous good opinion. Maybe he will redeem himself in the next book?

Nina  – (25 juli 2011 om 09:21)  

@Jenny: I really hope so! :)

Blodeuedd  – (25 juli 2011 om 09:29)  

Yes I doubt he would be able to fly one after just reading that *rolls eyes* I need more than that

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (25 juli 2011 om 11:31)  

Hm... I have been avoiding this series. Why? I have no idea. :/ I know I won't start with this one... but I still may have to get Gone at the library. Hm... maybe I'll wait until your review of Plague. ;)

Jenny N.  – (25 juli 2011 om 11:46)  

I find it frustrating when there's too much talking and not enough doing. I'm still hoping to read this series since I have a copy of the first book.

brizmus  – (25 juli 2011 om 16:22)  

thanks for stopping by and saying hi even though I've been gone for AGES!

This series sounds interesting, but I always get sad when the books start going downhill and then have trouble stopping, even though i know I should.

Still might have to check it out. . .

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (25 juli 2011 om 20:16)  

Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to try this series.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (25 juli 2011 om 21:02)  

I haven't made it past book one yet, but I'll know to keep my expectations in check now. Great review :)

A Canadian Girl  – (25 juli 2011 om 23:10)  

I haven't really heard much about this series but it seems interesting from the summary. It's too bad that Lies doesn't have as much action you wanted to but at least it kept you still excited for Plague. I'll have to check the series out when I get some time.

Nina  – (26 juli 2011 om 01:07)  

@A Canadian Girl: I am really excited for Plague, but I do hope it's going to get better. ;)

Missy  – (26 juli 2011 om 03:40)  

I have this series, waiting on me to read but for some reason I have avoided it.

I hate that you didn't like this one more, but I guess we can't expect all of the books in a series to be good, right? ;)

Great review, though!

Blueicegal ♥  – (26 juli 2011 om 04:08)  

Ohhh no! I loved the first two. The only reason I found their ages bearable was because their maturity made up for it. But whiny kids I do not have patience for. I'll see if I pick it up. Thanks for the honest review Nina.

Teddyree  – (26 juli 2011 om 04:10)  

I've got the first two in this series but haven't made a start on them; don't know why. Sorry the third book wasnt quite up to the others.

Nina  – (26 juli 2011 om 06:38)  

@Missy: I just hope that the fourth book in this series is going to blow me away, in a good way. lol. The first book was just so, so good and now it gone a bit downhill. OH NO! :)

@Blueicegal: Whiney kids are annoying! I can like stand them for a chapter and then hopefully they turn around and act mature again. But it didn't happen with Sam and I got annoyed! ;(

@Teddyree: I'm sorry too. But Gone and Hunger where really good books. You will enjoy them.

Andrea  – (26 juli 2011 om 09:06)  

I read the first 2 but so far I can't seem to make myself read this one. I think b/c they are so brutal and disturbing for me. One day I'll give it a try.

Nina  – (26 juli 2011 om 09:53)  

@Andrea: I can understand that, but in Lies there is a lot of talking going on. Not so much of the brutal/disturbing elements in it. ;)

Aths  – (29 juli 2011 om 11:56)  

My brother is a big fan of this series and he keeps asking me to read it. Maybe I should finally check out what the buzz is all about. :)

Alyssa@Teens Read and Write  – (29 juli 2011 om 13:05)  

I only read Gone but really enjoyed it. I can see that reading so many characters thoughts would be a bit much. Glad you like the new guys!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked  – (31 juli 2011 om 04:35)  

I was never attracted to this series...Hmm maybe I should give it a try.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP