Other by Karen Kincy

Title: Other
Written by: Karen Kincy
Release date: September, 2010
Pages: 336
Source: Bought

My Feelings:


Description:
Gwen Williams has been hiding a strange and fantastic secret: she's a shapeshifter. Although society may tolerate vampires, centaurs, and "Others" like Gwen, there are plenty of folks in her small Washington town who don't care for her kind.
When a new werewolf pack moves into the area, tensions rise—and Others start showing up dead, including someone close to Gwen. Despite the methodical murders, the police are ignoring evidence that suggests a serial killer. In the midst of terrible loss and danger, Gwen—along with a mysterious and sexy guy who happens to be a Japanese fox spirit—risks her life to find the murderer. But Gwen is already the killer's next target . .

My Review:
Don’t you hate it when the description of a book summarize the whole story for you. I do, and I feel it’s one of the reasons I wasn’t fully enthralled in the story.

Gwen Williams is a young girl who’s sensitive, determined and judgemental. I liked her, she’s a strong character. Chloe, Zack and Tavian where great too. The romance part was different than other paranormal stories, which is a good thing. We don’t want the same every time. Instead of a swoon worthy, dark, mysterious bad boy there’s a strong, helpful, confident, cute boy.

I liked the mystery part of the story. There where a lot of people who could have killed the Others and it’s fun to see how Gwen is slowly putting the pieces together. There wasn’t a lot of suspense, but one action scene really stood out for me. From that moment on the story begins to fasten it’s pace and I was excited to read further. But like I said before I knew 90% of the time what was going to happen next. It took the surprising element away from the story.

All in all I enjoyed Other. It’s gives an unique spin to the Young Adult paranormal stories that’s already out there and I’m looking forward reading Bloodborn. But I know now that I’m not going to read the description of it.

Jenny  – (11 juli 2011 om 09:12)  

It definitely does take away some of the enjoyment when you know exactly what's going to happen from one page to the next. Sounds like there are some good characters to offset that flaw though!

Blodeuedd  – (11 juli 2011 om 09:55)  

Oh yes blurbs, they can be tricky sometimes. You can only give away so much

Missie  – (11 juli 2011 om 11:49)  

Ah yes. Same thing goes for when I read too many reviews of the same book because then I don't feel like reading it anymore because I know what is going to happen.

This is a book I haven't heard a lot about and I wonder if it has to do with the summary telling the whole story, maybe a lot of people weren't really inspired to read it.

Good idea to approach the rest of the series with caution.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (11 juli 2011 om 12:07)  

True... sometimes blurbs tell too much. Sometimes I only skim them. ;) I'm glad that you enjoyed it enough to read the next tho!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (11 juli 2011 om 13:24)  

For me, when blurbs tell the whole story, it's like a movie trailer that contains all the good scenes...it usually means that the movie isn't very good. I don't know if the same is true for this book synopsis, but the book sounds just OK. Not something that I'd make priority reading.

Sarah  – (11 juli 2011 om 13:52)  

Haha! I would avoid the summary for the next book, too. I've never tried this book, but I might try to borrow it. Thanks for the review :)

Andrea  – (11 juli 2011 om 14:10)  

Sounds good, but, like you, I prefer not to know about the whole book from the description.

Jenny N.  – (11 juli 2011 om 14:53)  

I see so much of boys that are dark, mysterious and brooding that its refreshing to read about someone different.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (11 juli 2011 om 16:58)  

This sounds like a good book. And it's a shame the synopsis gave so much away. Thank you for the review. :)

Briana  – (11 juli 2011 om 20:51)  

Ah, I hate when that happens! It basically spoils the whole story.

chelleyreads  – (11 juli 2011 om 21:14)  

other sounds like a good story--i prefer a sweet boy to bad boys myself. i hate it more when the synopsis misleads you and doesn't give the right plot (recently happened to me).

A Canadian Girl  – (12 juli 2011 om 14:02)  

Yep, I always hate when the summary of the book tells you exactly what's going to happen. The other thing I hate is when the summary of the book and what you read is completely different. The first is better than the latter though.

YA Book Queen  – (13 juli 2011 om 10:55)  

Yikes. I don't think I'd enjoy this one then...I love to be surprised, not know what's going to happen next!

Nice honest review :D

notinthepink.com  – (17 juli 2011 om 04:16)  

I hate that. It's one of my pet peeves. It leaves nothing to the imagination. But it also drives me nuts when I pick up books that have reviews on the back cover and nothing else! No blurb ... nothing. Not even a hint of a story. :P

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP