A blue so dark by Holly Schindler

Title: A blue so dark
Written by: Holly Schindler
Release date: May, 2010
Pages: 288
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears.

My Review:
A blue so dark is a serious book with a serious tone to it. I’m not that kind of person that loves these kind of books. I mean give me a story with a lot of backstabbing, lies, secrets and paranormal creatures and I will devour it. But a book like this is not my cup of tea, but still I wanted to try it. As I expected, it took me days to read it. Not that it was bad, but just so intense.

Aura Ambrose is a strong character. Very strong. At times I wanted her to ask for help or just to run away, but she stayed and found the strength to go on. I didn’t liked her dad. He was selfish and was only looking out for himself. It felt like he wanted to forget about his past and that meant forget about his first daughter too. I hated him for doing that.

The story is emotional and very intense. I was angry, sad and happy, but most of the time just sad. I wanted someone to help Aura and her mother, but it felt like that never happened. I never read a story with someone who had this mental illness before and it was very intriguing to read about.

A blue so dark is a book you should get if you like these kinds of stories.

Jenny  – (23 augustus 2011 om 08:16)  

Books like this always take me a little time to make my through as well, I need that time to prepare myself for the emotional intensity of it:) Sounds like an amazing story though!

....Petty Witter  – (23 augustus 2011 om 08:33)  

Aura Ambrose, what a great name. Sounds like an intense read, I'm sure I'd like this but only if I were in the right frame of mind to read it.

Lisa  – (23 augustus 2011 om 09:07)  

Books like this are always hard for me to read. I usually end up liking them but the reading itself tends to be emotional and almost exhausting, but worth it.

Jenny N.  – (23 augustus 2011 om 10:56)  

Books like A Blue So Dark are ones I rarely read as I find that after finishing it its really emotionally draining. Maybe one day I will read it but have no plans to currently.

Mari - Escape In A Book  – (23 augustus 2011 om 11:15)  

You're the second Nina(the other being my blogging partner) I've noticed that loves this book. It sounds good but I don't do sad reads :( :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (23 augustus 2011 om 11:59)  

Art + a strong character? I am so curious. I know I will hate the dad in the story too. Oh I think I will keep this in mind when I want something emotional. Great review!

Blodeuedd  – (23 augustus 2011 om 12:36)  

I like YA books that are about real things, heart aching things and more

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (23 augustus 2011 om 14:51)  

sometimes i don't do so well with the really intense books like this. i'm really glad you liked it!

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (23 augustus 2011 om 19:18)  

Books like this are what make the genre great for me. I love issue books with dark tones - I'm gonna have to buy this! Great review :)

Missie  – (23 augustus 2011 om 22:42)  

I like emotional an intense books, but I have to be in the right kind of mood to read them. It's not often I'm looking forward to being sad while reading. LOL

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts on this one, Nina. I think I want to try it out now.

mummazappa  – (24 augustus 2011 om 04:57)  

This is such a great review - while it's not for you, but given the intense emotional reaction you had to it you've completely sold it to me, it must be some great writing to evoke these emotions in a reader!

Nina  – (24 augustus 2011 om 07:13)  

@Petty Witter: I love that name too. It's so cool. ;)

@Mari: I don't do sad reads anymore too. Well, at least for now. ;)

@Blodeuedd: Than you will adore this book!


@Missie: Lol! ;)

Sarah  – (24 augustus 2011 om 13:24)  

I think I might pass on this one--I'm all for intense reads, but the mental illness/intense family problems in this one sound too real, and too sad. (I know I just posted a review on a serious book that I loved, but this one just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.) Thanks for the review!

Nina  – (24 augustus 2011 om 14:52)  

@Sarah: I agree it was just too real and so, so heavy to read. I'm not loving these kind of books. :)

A Canadian Girl  – (25 augustus 2011 om 00:52)  

Even though you're not a huge fan of serious books, it's nice that you enjoyed this one. I have to be in the mood to read intense books but this one is on my wishlist. As a psych major, I'm interested in seeing how the schizophrenia is portrayed and the effects of it on the family.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP