Clean by Amy Reed

Title: Clean
Written by: Amy Reed
Release date: August, 2011
Pages: 288
Source: Simon & Schuster e-Galley

My Feelings:



Description:
Olivia, Kelly, Christopher, Jason, and Eva have one thing in common: They’re addicts. Addicts who have hit rock bottom and been stuck together in rehab to face their problems, face sobriety, and face themselves. None of them wants to be there. None of them wants to confront the truths about their pasts. But they’ll all have to deal with themselves and one another if they want to learn how to live. Because when you get that high, there’s nowhere to go but down, down, down.

My Review:
The second you start reading Clean you get pulled in and it will not let you go until you read the last page.

Trough the Drug & Alcohol History Questionnaire and Personal essays you get to know these five characters, their stories behind their addictions and the bond they have with each other. Trough the group sessions and especially the essays I could see why they saw drugs as their only escape. There wasn’t a character that really stood out for me. They where all equally interesting and fascinating. However I did wanted to read a tiny bit more about Jason.

I would love to read a sequel about this story and find out if they recovered. Let’s fast forward and see how they are as adults. Can we? Clean is a powerful story that will make you think about addictions and the long path to recovery.

On a personal note:
While reading 'A blue so dark' a week ago, I have decided that these kind of books are not my cup of tea. As you can tell by my review of Clean I did enjoyed reading it, but I want to escape problems not dive into them. I probably will be staying away from these types of books for a long time now, unless it has gotten awesome reviews and I have the need to read it.

Jillian  – (18 augustus 2011 om 04:06)  

For some reason, I have never been really "into" addiction-related stories in fiction. Maybe because I simply can not find a way to relate to the characters and the situation? Perhaps.

But it is interesting that you pointed out that you sort of wanted to find out more about them even after the book. That is always a good sign. I might try this out because of that.

Tricia  – (18 augustus 2011 om 04:32)  

I don't think reading a lot of books like this would be my cup of tea either. But perhaps every so often, and this one sounds like a good choice!

Rachel Brooks  – (18 augustus 2011 om 07:26)  

I have heard such great things about this book! Thanks for the review.

Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Blodeuedd  – (18 augustus 2011 om 07:34)  

It sounds good and different, and of course more real

Lisa  – (18 augustus 2011 om 08:49)  

I enjoyed this book, but I also had a hard time reading. I often read to get away from the horrors of life (another reason I don't watch the news or read newspapers) so when difficult issues are thrust in your face in books I have the same reaction and want to escape.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (18 augustus 2011 om 12:03)  

I too can see the need for this book but I'm not big on the addiction type of books either. Still, it does sound like a good book to keep in mind.

Jenny N.  – (18 augustus 2011 om 12:45)  

I tend to shy away from books dealing with tougher issues for the same reason you described. So not sure if I want to read Clean or not.

Missie  – (18 augustus 2011 om 13:24)  

Hmmm... now I'm feeling on the fence about this one because I read a review earlier that said it was filled with too many f-bombs. :(

But I like your idea about fast forwarding to follow the characters as adults.

A Canadian Girl  – (18 augustus 2011 om 13:54)  

I started this one when I had the galley, but I just couldn't get into it. It seems like maybe I just didn't get far enough into it then. I'll get this one from my library and try to give it another shot now.

A Canadian Girl  – (18 augustus 2011 om 14:56)  

Nina, Isle of Night is YA :) I agree with you about the guy; he is hot!:)

Faye  – (18 augustus 2011 om 19:01)  

I read Reed's Debut book a little while ago, I really liked it. Clean sounds so good, reed is like ellen hopkins! love her writing, she really brings her characters to life. Great Review!

Niii  – (18 augustus 2011 om 19:28)  

Looks VERY interesting but also like a hard storie!
Thanks for the Great review!
I'II looking for it!

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (18 augustus 2011 om 23:11)  

Amy Reed does write very gritty tales. I find after such a heartbreaking book I always need something fun. Great review :)

Lily Child  – (20 augustus 2011 om 02:56)  

Great review, but I don't know if this book is really for me. btw...I am totally LOVING your new blog look! :D

Nina  – (20 augustus 2011 om 04:11)  

@Lily Child: Thank you! ;)

BooksforCompany  – (21 augustus 2011 om 10:06)  

I totally know what you mean with wanting to forget problems while reading although I personally love these sort of books.
It's like with music, I love the ones which express problems!
This is one I had hoped to read before it ran out but didn't =(

BooksforCompany  – (21 augustus 2011 om 10:06)  
Deze reactie is verwijderd door de auteur.
Small Review  – (25 augustus 2011 om 17:17)  

I agree on both counts: I found this book compulsively readable, but I want to read happy books instead :)

notinthepink.com  – (1 september 2011 om 09:46)  

I find these subjects fascinating and do enjoy books that don't necessarily end happy but dive into the gritty realism of life. :) I liked your review though; Very honest.

~*~*~

Ceri

notinthepink.com  – (1 september 2011 om 09:46)  

I find these subjects fascinating and do enjoy books that don't necessarily end happy but dive into the gritty realism of life. :) I liked your review though; Very honest.

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP