Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Title: Fury
Written by: Elizabeth Miles
Release date: August, 2011
Pages: 352
Source: Simon & Schuster

My Feelings:



Description:
Sometimes sorry isn't enough.... It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.

My Review:
After reading some not so great reviews for this book my expectations for this book was very low. So low that I did not had any desire to read it. And then I had a couple of free hours and thought why the hack not?

I disliked the characters. Really like all of them, well expect for JD, the nerdy friend. Let’s begin with the obnoxious one of them. Chase was this guy who felt like the most important thing to do in life was to get as many girls as possible. At one point in the story I was yelling at him and calling him an obsessed, stupid idiot. He was acting with his, you know what, and not with his brains. And then we have Emily. She was just only thinking about her own feelings and was just terrible. I cannot believe she truly felt sorry for what she has done to her best friend. It felt like she was sorry that Zach did not love her back. One thing that bothered me the most, where the absent parents. Emily would tell them “I’m going” and they where fine with that. Really? Are parents nowadays like that? My mom would stop me in my tracks, told me to get my butt in the house and give me a long lecture about my behavior.

Even though I DISLIKED the characters, the story itself was okay. It did hold my attention the entire time, which is a bonus point. But what’s up with these furies? Why are they there in the first place? Why do they want to take revenge on teenagers? I know its the first book in a trilogy, but common I need some answers. And what’s going on with the gay bashing? These teens need to learn some new words to hurt someone. Because really what’s so wrong with being gay?

So yeah, Fury was an okay read for a Sunday afternoon. Nothing spectacular and nothing mind blowing.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (7 augustus 2011 om 12:44)  

I'm so sorry to hear it isn't that great. Darn. Oh and I didn't know about the gay bashing. I hate prejudices especially when there is no lesson there. Not good. Not sure if I want to read it at this point.

vvb32 reads  – (7 augustus 2011 om 14:02)  

eeek, too bad. the cover makes this look so good.

Lauren  – (7 augustus 2011 om 14:29)  

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one, but thanks for the honest review! I read this one about a month ago and enjoyed it somewhat. It kind of reminded me of Pretty Little Liar/Gossip Girl book- an interesting, guilty pleasure type read but nothing truly life changing.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (7 augustus 2011 om 14:59)  

oh no, i really don't like books where i don't like the characters :(

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog)  – (7 augustus 2011 om 15:31)  

Thanks for honest review! I haven't even really heard that much about it, but I've been off the scene a bit.

GABY  – (7 augustus 2011 om 16:44)  

I'm just reading Fury and I'm not sure if I'm going to like it....

Mimi Valentine  – (7 augustus 2011 om 17:55)  

Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't like it! You really can't force yourself to. But thanks so much for the honest review! :) If I don't like the main character, then my sympathies for a book aren't very high -- so I'm worried about Fury!

Great review, Nina! :)

Amber  – (7 augustus 2011 om 18:12)  

Ouch! Sorry to hear you weren't wild about it. I'm going to be writing up a review very soon for this one and while I get not liking the characters, I actually sort of really liked Chase. Odd, I know. Thanks for the honest review!

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (7 augustus 2011 om 20:21)  

The cover was definitely FAR better than the book. Great honesty, Nina :)

Missie  – (7 augustus 2011 om 20:23)  

Oh, no. Such a shame because I love the cover.

But I'm not happy to hear about the gay bashing. Totally unacceptable.

Not for me. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.

A Canadian Girl  – (7 augustus 2011 om 21:56)  

I just started reading this one and agree with you. I do not like the characters! I'll probably read a bit more though in the hopes that I might like it more than you.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (8 augustus 2011 om 00:09)  

Oh I am sorry this was a disappointing read. I am reading quite a few low reviews for this. I am reading it soon for review and will remember to get my expectations low like you did. Great review though :)

Blodeuedd  – (8 augustus 2011 om 01:28)  

Wow that is not good, disliked them all? Sucks. I could not read a book like that. Sorry you got disappointed :/

Nina  – (8 augustus 2011 om 04:37)  

@Lauren: Yeah, it did remind me a bit of Gossip Girl, but I love the characters in that tvshow. The characters in this book not so much. (Have not read the books in the GossipGirl series)! ;)

bermudaonion  – (8 augustus 2011 om 05:19)  

Since it has unlikeable characters and gay bashing, I'll probably skip this one.

Teddyree  – (8 augustus 2011 om 05:25)  

Ssorry this one was disappointing, I did consider reading it but I'm now kind of glad I passed it up :)

Christina / Book Addict  – (8 augustus 2011 om 07:33)  

I'm sorry this one was just okay for you. I appreciate your honest review, though. I am probably going to pass on this one. If only the characters were more like the ones on Gossip Girl- I love those characters too!

Sarah  – (8 augustus 2011 om 07:42)  

That's too bad--the cover is gorgeous and intriguing. Thanks for giving such an honest review :)

Jenny  – (8 augustus 2011 om 08:03)  

I've heard this one is really disappointing, I don't think I've seen an overly positive review of it yet. It's so hard for me to really get into a book when I just don't like the characters. I think I'll be waiting on this one!

Nina  – (8 augustus 2011 om 08:09)  

@Sarah: The cover is absolutley beautiful, but the story itself a let down. :(

@Jenny: I think I only read one very positive review for it, but most of them have given it low ratings. I really want my characters to be at least likeable. Or at least one of them. :)

YA Book Queen  – (8 augustus 2011 om 10:14)  

I enjoyed this one slightly more than you did, but I definitely agree regarding the characters - so not likable (although JD was awesome!)

Nina  – (8 augustus 2011 om 10:22)  

@Ya Book Queen: Yes, JD was very cool. Too bad that he didn't had a bigger role. ;)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (8 augustus 2011 om 17:22)  

Oh wow. Thanks for the review. Sounds like the characters are the problem here. Hm. Thank you so much!

Jillian  – (8 augustus 2011 om 21:08)  

oh no! sorry you didn't like it. I've hearing so many good things about this. I will try to see what I think of it too.

....Petty Witter  – (9 augustus 2011 om 02:33)  

Such a shame this proved to be only an ok read as its such a great cover.

Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast  – (9 augustus 2011 om 13:29)  

Bummer :( I had really high hopes for this one but the reviews aren’t so great. Maybe the series will get better or at least I hope it will.

Anna  – (9 augustus 2011 om 15:11)  

Woah. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the book. The cover looks so awesome, it's so sad when the inside doesn't match the outside. For me, characters are pretty much everything in a book, so thanks for the heads up about this. I think I was planning on reading this book, but I don't think I want to now.

Hafsah @ IceyBooks  – (9 augustus 2011 om 15:14)  

I'm so sorry you didn't like this one. I pretty much enjoyed the story, the cover hooked my attention from the very start. But it's each to their own, I guess! Thanks for the honest review :)

Nina  – (10 augustus 2011 om 04:50)  

@Hafsah@IceyBooks: That's for sure. lol. I love the cover too. It's really beautiful.

hmsgofita  – (10 augustus 2011 om 20:56)  

Bummer. I love the cover and was looking forward to this....oh well. THanks to your honest review I doubt I'll ever get to it. And the gay-bashing is uncalled for. Bummer.

Small Review  – (12 augustus 2011 om 15:29)  

The reviews I've seen have turned me off from this book too. I have a very hard time liking a book if I can't connect with or like the characters. The lack of explanation about the Furies would bother me too. Even with it being only the first book in a trilogy, you're right, there needs to be at least some explanation up front.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP