Solid by Shelley Workinger

Title: Solid
Written by: Shelley Workinger
Release date: July, 2010
Pages: 221
Source: Shelley Workinger

My Feelings:



Description:
Teens who discover they were secretly genetically altered before birth are brought together at a classified site where they forge new friendships, find love, develop "super-abilities," and even unearth a conspiracy.

My Review:
Doesn’t the description of the book sounds like X-men? I love the X-men, so I was excited to dive into this story and found out what this conspiracy was and what kind of super abilities they will develop. So, I was a bit wrong. Yes, they do have superpowers like X-men, but the plot and storyline is nothing like it.

Calliope, Clio, is smart, funny and always looks on the Bright side of life. Yes, she’s one positive young girl. I liked this character. She’s very realistic and likeable. I also liked the other characters and I thought Shelley did a great job with the characterization.

At the beginning I didn’t like the pace of the story. It was very slow and nothing really big happens. Because of this it was hard to go trough the first couple of chapters.The last few pages where fast paced and I couldn’t go trough them fast enough. The action at the last couple of pages definitely make up for the slow beginning. I had no idea who the bad guy was and I liked the suprise effect that it had on me.

Solid is a great first book to start this series. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Kelsey  – (15 augustus 2011 om 07:18)  

This sounds like a great start to a series. I love X-Men, so this is right up my alley! Great review :)

Jenny  – (15 augustus 2011 om 07:23)  

Oh good! I have this one waiting for me on my Kindle, glad to know you enjoyed it despite the slower start:) I love that there's a scientific reason behind their abilities, that makes it a bit easier to believe:)

....Petty Witter  – (15 augustus 2011 om 07:31)  

Glad you enjoyed it, I've heard a lot about this one but I'm still not sure if I'd like to read it or not, the thought of being genetically modified like this is soooo scary.

Missie  – (15 augustus 2011 om 11:48)  

oooh! I'm an X-men fan too. I've already heard a lot of good things about this book. Good to know it offered some surprises. That certainly makes reading interesting.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (15 augustus 2011 om 11:54)  

I'm glad the ending makes up for the beginning. Oh yes... I'm such an X-men fan! SQUEE!

bermudaonion  – (15 augustus 2011 om 12:14)  

It's good to know it's worth sticking with this one.

Blodeuedd  – (15 augustus 2011 om 13:11)  

It does sound like the beginning of x-men, but then I like the x-men too :D So that works fine with me

Jenny N.  – (15 augustus 2011 om 13:26)  

Even if the beginning isnt the best I always try to get through it and most of the time the ending is worth it. Good to know that Solid is no exception.

Lauren  – (15 augustus 2011 om 13:40)  

I've had this one in my TBR pile for a long time (since it was published I think), and I've always been a bit hesitant to read it. But it sounds really awesome. I mean, superpowers? I must check it out ASAP then! Great review!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (15 augustus 2011 om 17:33)  

Sorry it wasn't X-men for you, but it sounds like you enjoyed it anyway. :) Great to hear. Thank you for the review.

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (15 augustus 2011 om 19:28)  

Slow starts kill me, I'm not going to lie. that said, I just love the osund of this one! Fab review ;)

YA Book Queen  – (17 augustus 2011 om 07:21)  

This book sounds wonderful, except for the slow beginning (but a fast paced conclusion definitely makes up for it!)

Nice review! :)

notinthepink.com  – (1 september 2011 om 08:43)  

Oooh, actually I was thinking it also sounded like Never Let Me Go too. Just a bit. Heh. :) Sounds like an interesting start to a series though.

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP