Thinking About...

Have you seen the movie Julie & Julia? I really enjoyed watching it, even though the voice of Meryl Streep got a bit annoying after 20 minutes, well maybe even after 5. For the people who haven't seen it, you should, because it's GOOD.

"A culinary legend provides a frustrated office worker with a new recipe for life in Julie & Julia, the true stories of how Julia Child's (Meryl Streep) life and cookbook inspired fledgling writer Julie Powell (Amy Adams) to whip up 524 recipes in 365 days."

Yeah! It sounds good, right! So I have three weeks of vacation left and I want to do something fun before school starts. And because the weather is not that great to do something active outside, I have decided that I'm going to buy a cookbook. And each week I will follow three recipes. This way I will get better in the kitchen and be able to make some delicious food for friends and family members. Oh, I'm loving this idea already. But now I am troubled. I have no idea which cookbook to buy.
There are so many and I want one with easy recipes. At the moment I'm thinking of these three:



Really any book by Nigella Lawson
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights by Sophie Dahl
Baking Made Easy by Lorraine Pascale

And then the other thing I’m thinking about doing is reading books that take place in countries/cities that I want to visit one day. Remember last year when I decided to do this too and failed miserably at it. Only two books which where from the same author and same country, so I kind of cheated too. Anyway, I don’t mind reading different genres and I would love a lot of them to be young adult. We’ll see how many I can actually find in the bookstore.

Of these places I want to read books from:

  1. America. New York city, baby! Gosh, I so want to go and see a musical at Broadway. And of course shop on Fifth Avenue.
    I’m thinking about reading: Other Words for Love, Summer and the City.
  2. Cuba. My dad loves Cuba and maybe someday we can go together to this fabulous country. Since a couple of months I’m reading as much as I can about the Cuban Revolution and Che before school starts and I don’t have any free time anymore. It’s very fascinating.
    I’m thinking about reading: The Red Umbrella, Dreaming in Cuban.
  3. Egypt. I love, love everything that has to do with Egypt. The reason why I’m currently studying History is because of Cleopatra and the pyramids.
    I’m thinking about reading: Lily of the Nile, Cleopatra’s Daughter.
  4. Paris. I live in Europe and I never been there. I can easily take a train and be there in a few hours, so I’m now wondering why I didn’t go there this summer. Maybe when I have long, free weekend.
    I’m thinking about reading: Anna and the French Kiss, French Milk, Madame Tussaud.
  5. Russia. The language is so beautiful. I know a lot of you may disagree and say French is the most beautiful language in the world, but for me it’s Russian. I love, love it. One of my goals in life (I seriously thinking about making a bucket list) is learning Russian.
    I’m thinking about reading: Anastasia's Secret, Dreaming Anastasia.
So of course there are more places that I want to visit, but it would take me forever to actually complete the list. So I’m sticking with these five. I might not read the books that I’m thinking about reading, because I may buy some random books at a local *little* bookstore tomorrow.

What do you think of these two *challenges*? I really don’t want to call them challenges, because, well that’s another topic I will tell your more about later.
Do you have any suggestions for books? What do you think of these cookbooks?

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (12 augustus 2011 om 09:35)  

Yes yes read the Red Umbrella. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. It's not action packed but it's a gentle story about what it's like to grow up in Cuba during that time.

Mimi Valentine  – (12 augustus 2011 om 10:05)  

Oh my gosh, yes I did watch Julie and Julia! And let me just tell you that it made me so hungry after the first few minutes! Some of the foods they made looked sooo good! :)

My mom's boyfriend almost fell asleep during it (then again, we were watching a midnight show after swimming at the beach), but I thought it was a super sweet story!

I really want to go to Paris! You're so lucky that you live in Europe because that's the place I want to travel most! :)

Kelsey  – (12 augustus 2011 om 10:21)  

I'm definitely looking forward to watching Julie and Julia! Glad you enjoyed it!

As for the books, I highly recommend Anna and the French Kiss and I've heard great things about Other Words for Love. Enjoy!

Jenny N.  – (12 augustus 2011 om 10:31)  

Sorry I'm no help as I'm not much of a cook myself. But I am looking forward to seeing what do decide to whip up.

Blodeuedd  – (12 augustus 2011 om 11:02)  

PS. Michelle Moran has two more Egypt books

A Canadian Girl  – (12 augustus 2011 om 11:37)  

Oh, you're going to love Anna and the French Kiss! Die For Me by Amy Plum is also set in Paris.

I don't know how to cook and am too lazy to try with cookbooks but am looking forward to seeing what you decide to make and whether you end up liking it or not.

Nina  – (12 augustus 2011 om 11:38)  

@Juju: Yay! Okay, definitely going to get that one for Cuba. ;)

@Mimi Valentine: lol. I can understand that! The movie made me hungry too. It all looked so good!

@Kelsey:Thank you for your recommendation. I heard lots of great things about Anna and the French Kiss. Everyone is so positive about it!

@Jenny.N: No worries! ;) I promise to make pictures.

@Blodeuedd: Thanx! I actually read The Heretic Queen written by her, that's why I wanted one more of her books. Cleopatra’s Daughter sounds more interesting than the other one.

Jenny  – (12 augustus 2011 om 11:55)  

Awesome Nina! This is a great idea:) I'm miserable in the kitchen, I manage to mess up anything and everything I try so I admire you for the cooking challenge! I just finished Cleopatra's Moon, if you want a book that features Egypt and is young adult, you should give that one a try! I really enjoyed it:)

bermudaonion  – (12 augustus 2011 om 12:36)  

I actually saw Julie and Julia in the theater twice, so you know I really liked it. I love to travel through books, so I say go for it!

Jenn (Books At Midnight)  – (12 augustus 2011 om 12:42)  

Oh man, the movie I've been meaning to see for what seems like forever... and never have. I remember seeing the trailer x23038948 times though. Glad you liked it! :D

And that's a great resolution, though I can't help you on the books since I'm not a chef myself. If you bake anything awesome, you should definitely share pics so we can all drool and congratulate you. :>

Finally, COME TO NYC! I'm also supremely jealous that you live so close to Paris and it would be AMAZING to go there. Hope you get to have a wonderful train ride there soon (it sounds like something out of a movie or novel, haha)!

YA Book Queen  – (12 augustus 2011 om 13:31)  

I think both plans sound like great ideas (especially the cooking one!), and you should definitely read Anna & TFK!

And I'm glad to hear Julie & Julia was good, I'll check it out next time I go to rent movies :)

Nina  – (12 augustus 2011 om 13:42)  

@bermudaonion: Haha! Yeah, you must really have enjoyed the movie for seeing it twice at the cinema. ;) But I can understand it, it's a very good movie.

@Jenn(Books at Midnight):x23038948 times! Really? OMG, you should watch it ASAP! And hopefully one day I can come to visit the city.

@YA Book Queen: You should really watch that movie. It's so,so good. Okay, I'm now certain that I will read Anna & TFK! Everyone seems to love it. ;)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (12 augustus 2011 om 14:42)  

What do I think of the cookbooks? Hm... I'll come over and you cook and then I'll let you know. ;D Oh, now I'm hungry! lol

I think your choices are great.

Jillian  – (12 augustus 2011 om 18:41)  

This sounds like a fun project, especially before school starts! You should document your thoughts on each places/books as well! I think that would be very interesting.

Nina  – (13 augustus 2011 om 03:30)  

@Melissa: That's a deal! :)

@Jillian: Great idea! Thank you!

Trish (Just a YA Girl)  – (13 augustus 2011 om 05:53)  

Such a great idea! I was going to try the same thing. I know how to cook because I was forced to learn growing up but I just irrationally hate it. It's fun to try out new recipes, especially if you share your thoughts on the experience.

And the best way to visit places you love is to do it in books. Whoot!

♥ Trish

p.s. I cried at the butter scene in the end.

vvb32 reads  – (23 augustus 2011 om 12:48)  

Anna and the French Kiss is the one I've been wanting as well as visiting France one day...

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP