Winterborne by Augusta Blythe

Title: Winterborne
Written by: Augusta Blythe
Release date: April, 2011
Pages: 188
Source: Augusta Blythe

My Feelings:



Description:
Sixteen-year old Mia Winterborne is destined to be special. Details are sketchy, though, as her dad disappeared with all the answers when she was five. Mia only knows that she'll inherit her kickass superpowers on her seventeenth birthday. Helping Mia prepare for her anticipated ascendancy is Loie Bryce, her best friend and eternal sidekick extraordinaire. The girls' intense friendship has never wavered until now, when Andreas arrives in Salcey Ridge. They both fall hard for the British hottie, who quickly becomes a fixture in their lives. When they discover that Andreas is not who he appears to be, the frightening reality of Mia's powers finally hits home. The nearer Mia's birthday draws, the more the danger escalates and long-buried lies are exposed, putting the girls on a path that they never expected.

My Review:
So this book had it’s ups and downs. Some parts I really enjoyed reading and others not so much.

Because of the description I thought that Mia would be the narrator of this story. But it’s not, it’s Loie. I thought this was strange, because really nothing major happens to her. Everything that happens for most part of the book happens to her best friend Mia. Both of the characters are likable, but one of them is 80% of the time annoying. Quess who? Yep, it’s Loie. She could have used a bit more ‘umph’ or as Willem Neiholt (musical legend in Holland) says ‘possess’. Her actions are off and she keeps repeating that she has a crush on the boy of her best friend. Also she has low self esteem.

The pacing of the story begins slow and ends up fast. In the beginning there where a few boring chapters. It’s not that nothing happened in these chapters, but the setup was not that great and did not hold my attention. The last three/four chapters where amazing. Finally there’s action and answers I was waiting for. I did not see the surprise at the end coming, it totally made the story better.

All in all the ending of Winterborne made up for the slow pace and at times annoying narrator.

Teddyree  – (16 augustus 2011 om 03:39)  

I have this one to read sometime soon, glad that it had some redeeming factors that made it enjoyable in the end :)

....Petty Witter  – (16 augustus 2011 om 05:19)  

Thanks for the review of this, I'm not too sure its for me but I love the cover, so simple I think its stunning.

mummazappa  – (16 augustus 2011 om 05:47)  

That's a shame because the cover is so beautiful - it's one I'd love to have on my shelf! It seems to me like that cover belongs to a fairy tale type of thing.

Mari - Escape In A Book  – (16 augustus 2011 om 06:49)  

Nooo, the narrator annoying 80 % of the time? Then this is no book for me, even if the ending was better. Thanks for your honest thoughts, Nina.

Nina  – (16 augustus 2011 om 09:20)  

@Teddyree: I do hope you will enjoy this much more than I did. :) And if you not, read further, the ending is way better than the beginning. ;)

@Petty Witter & Mummazappa: I agree, the cover is really simple and beautiful.

@Mari-Escape In A Book: Yep!Your welcome. :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (16 augustus 2011 om 12:44)  

No, I don't think this one is for me. I can handle a lot but not an annoying narrator. Even if the ending rocked. I do like the cover tho. :)

Blodeuedd  – (16 augustus 2011 om 12:47)  

It does not sound that good. Slow and annoying, eh, I will just skip it ;)

Sarah  – (16 augustus 2011 om 12:53)  

It's a pity that the book sounds like it's not very good, because that cover is pretty :) Also, thanks for telling about the video for "King of Anything"--I hadn't seen it yet, and it is really good :)

Nina  – (16 augustus 2011 om 13:13)  

@Sarah: Yay, that video clip is amazing! Glad you liked it too.

Missie  – (16 augustus 2011 om 14:16)  

That is strange that the story is told from Loie's POV. I don't know if I would have stuck with it if she was lacking and annoying. Though I do love the cover.

A Canadian Girl  – (16 augustus 2011 om 22:14)  

I tend to skip over books with annoying characters that have low self-esteem. Great review though, Nina.

Jenny N.  – (16 augustus 2011 om 22:18)  

Loie sounds like a boring main character so I'm not sure if I want to read this. Thanks for the review.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads  – (16 augustus 2011 om 23:01)  

That sucks this was a disappointing read and the narrator was annoying. I don't think I will be reading this. Great honest review though :)

Jenny  – (17 augustus 2011 om 05:22)  

I had trouble with Loie too, I just wanted to make her see her own worth and stop being content with being at Mia's right hand. The end was really action packed though which was nice and I would read book 2 to see if Loie grows into herself a bit:)

YA Book Queen  – (17 augustus 2011 om 07:23)  

That summary is a bit misleading if Mia isn't the narrator...and that's a shame that Loie is the more annoying character.

Great honest review,

Nina  – (18 augustus 2011 om 14:37)  

@Jenny: If there's a sequal coming, and I'm sure there is, I'm looking forward to read your review and find that out. :)

Faye  – (18 augustus 2011 om 19:03)  

I received this for review not to long ago. Looking forward to reading it, see how i like it. Hopefully it goes well :D

Cari  – (22 augustus 2011 om 21:04)  

Thanks for your review! I'm not a fan of books that start of slow so I'm not to sure about this one. Do you think if it was told from the other girls POV it would have been better?

Nina  – (23 augustus 2011 om 04:40)  

@Cari: I think it would be. But the ending revealed why the story was from her perspective and that's why it still got three hearts from me. ;)

notinthepink.com  – (1 september 2011 om 09:15)  

I think I'd probably get frustrated at the pace of this by the sounds of it. But I really liked your review. :)

~*~*~

Ceri

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP