2-1RV. The Paladin and Catalyst

The Paladin by Kenneth Newman
Release date: May, 2011
Pages: 272
Source: Received by author

My feelings:



Description:
Larry is an angel of the Lord... retired. To avoid final judgment and rather warm room without a view he seeks to make amends by helping humanity against spiritual darkness. Unable to directly interfere, he must use a human to do his dirty work, or as he calls them... Paladins. A lonely kindergarten teacher, Harriet Smith, dreaming of romance and an exciting life of high adventure, has no idea that she has been chosen... that is until she is kidnapped by a five year old, and reborn as the sultry, Maggie Black. Maggie is about to find that the world is a far different place than she could have ever imagined as she faces shape shifting hit men, psychotic witches, and four thousand year old living weapons of mass destruction. Fortunately, Maggie isn't alone, as Silas Cole, a deceased Paladin, comes to her aid, possessing the body of his murdered great grandson. Maggie soon falls in love with the dashing Silas, but finds that to save humanity, she must sacrifice the man she loves.

My Review:
When I saw the cover of The Paladin I knew that this book would be action packed. And let me tell you something, it was. Harriet Smith is one tough cookie who can kick ass, just like the Bride (Beatrix Kiddo) in the movie Kill Bill. She was awesome. The story was fast paced and I was quickly absorbed into the pages to read what happens to this character. The thing I didn’t like about this story is that there where too many characters. And too many characters can make you either love the story more or get you confused. I got confused. I would love the book a bit more if it would be turned into a graphic novel.

Catalyst by Marc Johnson
Release date: March, 2011
Pages: 197
Source: Received by author

My feelings:



Description:
For centuries, the kingdom of Alexandria has protected Northern Shala from the monstrous creatures lurking in the Wastelands. Now, a dark force threatens that fragile peace.
Far from home, Alexandria's princess is abducted. When a young villager named Hellsfire stumbles upon her and her captors, he rushes in to rescue her, alone and unarmed. His fear and fury unleash an uncontrollable magical force that grants him the power to save the princess-and change the world.Hellsfire has never craved nor dreamed of power. But such magic as he now possesses has not been seen in Northern Shala for a thousand years, since the devastation of the War of the Wizards and the creation of the Wastelands.Now Hellsfire must leave all he's ever known, and make a dangerous journey to learn to master this wild, ferocious power-power he knows he is not ready to wield. More difficult still, he needs to master his emotions. If he can't, the power will consume him, Alexandria will fall, and darkness will eclipse the land, destroying everyone he loves.
In the dead of cold, the spark shall burn

My Review:
The story started very slow and at times I was tempted to browse on the Internet instead of reading further. But I read further and after 40 pages it became better. Some of the characters where likable, others I didn’t really care for. Hellfire, the main character, was just okay. He was likable, but that’s basically it. I also found it sad that his name was Hellfire. I mean, wow, that’s not very cool, is it. I thought that there would be a explanation why his father named him that, but there wasn’t. The plot is predictable, but still nicely done. I loved the fantasy elements a lot and I loved the quest that Hellfire was on. Overall a nice fantasy book that probably will appeal to younger people.

Blodeuedd  – (19 september 2011 om 09:48)  

2 nice shorties :)

I must say that the first cover makes me think of Mercy Thompson

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP