Blood & Flowers by Penny Blubaugh

Title: Blood & Flowers
Written by: Penny Blubaugh
Release date: March, 2011
Pages: 352
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Three years ago, Persia ran away from her drug-addict parents and found a home with the Outlaws, an underground theater troupe. This motley band of mortals and fey, puppeteers and actors, becomes the loving family Persia never had, and soon Persia not only discovers a passion for theater but also falls in love with Nicholas, one of the other Outlaws. Life could not be more perfect.
Until an enemy with a grudge makes an unfair accusation against the group and forces them to flee the mortal world and hide in the neighboring realm of Faerie. But in Faerie, all is not flowers and rainbows—with bloodthirsty trolls, a hostile monarchy, and a dangerous code of magic, the fey world is not quite the safe haven the Outlaws had hoped for. And they must decide what’s more important: protecting their right to perform or protecting themselves.

My Review:
Blood & Flowers
has everything for me to fall in love with it. But sadly beside the pretty cover, it wasn’t meant to be.

The problem I had, was with the narrator. Persia tells the story, but she felt more like a secondary character. I also found her a pushover. She had ideas, told them, but then everyone ignored her or rolled their eyes. She could have been tougher, say something back, but she just stood there, doing nothing. Really! So now it sounds like the other characters are awful, but they are not. They are just fine, but they could have listen more to Persia and her ideas. I really liked Max and Tonio. They reminded me of those two gay guys in Modern Family. Unfortunately there isn’t any character development and with so many characters I really missed that.

And then what’s up with the villain, Major, in this story? He didn’t feel that evil at all. I just felt sorry for the guy. Seriously, the outlaws are five people and one fey against one little *evil* men. They could easily have done some nasty faerie tricks with him, scare him to death and he would have run and never looked back. It also bothered me that they didn’t have a really good reason to hide in faerie. They felt more like a bunch of cowards. Ouch, I know!

I did enjoyed reading about the play and their performances. Those parts where very light-hearted and fun to read. I just wished there was more action, the actual feeling of magic and something wonderful happening when you actually enter Faerie.

I’m not a fan of this story and I am wondering if the sequel is going to get better.
If the reviews are going to be top notch, I may read it, but for now let’s say I tried to love it. I really did.

Blodeuedd  – (1 september 2011 om 13:16)  

Sounds good. And I like that she gets happy after the runs away

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (1 september 2011 om 17:22)  

You know, I haven't heard great things about this book. I also love the cover, but too bad that it just didn't rock. You kind of either need a real evil guy or at least to be able to connect to the protag. Without either, I wouldn't like it. Darn. Perhaps the next will rock.

A Canadian Girl  – (1 september 2011 om 18:16)  

I love the cover of this one but the reviews I've glanced at don't rate it too favourably either. I'm not a fan of characters that are pushovers and it just seems like there isn't much character development in this one. I think I'll have to pass on it but thanks for the review.

Missie  – (1 september 2011 om 22:36)  

Yikes, Persia sounds like she needs to develop her backbone. I have this book. Good to know I can put it at the bottom of the TBR.

Thanks, Nina.

Nina  – (2 september 2011 om 01:06)  

@Melissa: Indeed, this book could have used a really scary evil villain. If Major was that it would be more exciting to read. ;)

@A Canadian Girl: I wished Persia was stronger. She def. could have used a backbone. ;)

@Missie: Indeed! lol.

Jenny N.  – (2 september 2011 om 07:41)  

I love the cover with the different colors but too bad the story wasn't up to par.

....Petty Witter  – (2 september 2011 om 08:14)  

A pretty cover? I really didn't like it. I've been reading lots of mixed reviews about this one, mostly not very good it has to be said.

Nina  – (2 september 2011 om 11:14)  

@Jenny N.: I adore this cover too. I think it's really fabulous. It really stands out!

@Petty Witter: No way! This cover is awesome. LOL. :)

Alyssa@Teens Read and Write  – (2 september 2011 om 18:10)  

Great cover but Persia would annoy me too!

Jillian  – (2 september 2011 om 22:23)  

LOVE this cover, but from what I'm hearing, the story and the characters fall short.

Nina  – (3 september 2011 om 05:45)  

@Jillian: They do and I'm so sad about it. ;)

Christie - The Fiction Enthusiast  – (3 september 2011 om 07:54)  

This one turned out to be a huge disappointment for me. I had such high hopes with the gorgeous cover.

Nina  – (3 september 2011 om 14:52)  

@Christie: Me too! I thought this would be such a fun read. ;)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (4 september 2011 om 10:15)  

Sorry to hear the book didn't work for you. Sounds like you really wanted to, but it just didn't. :) Thanks for the review.

Nina  – (5 september 2011 om 05:56)  

@Melissa: I really wanted to love this book, but it just didn't work out. ;)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP