Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

Title: Five Flavors of Dumb
Written by: Antony John
Release date: November, 2010
Pages: 352
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.
The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.
The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?
Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.

My Review:
Sometimes you pick up a book, start reading it and find out that it’s impossible to put it back. That happened to me, I read the first chapter and was sold. Five Flavors of Dumb is a fabulous read and like many other readers have said it’s made out of awesomeness.

Piper is a young girl, who’s deaf. I have not read any books with a deaf protagonist, so to read how she deals with this is interesting. I liked Piper a lot. She stands up for herself and is very determined. She also learns from her mistakes and grows in the story. The best part (for me) was to see her grow and the relationship she has with her family. I loved that the family was around and that they truly felt caring. The other characters are equally amazing as Piper. I now have a special fondness for Ed.

The plot is awesome. I loved the music references a lot. It made me a bit like Piper, because I knew who they were but never heard their music. In every little chapter something happened and it made me read faster just to find out what happens next. The romance was just cute! What I also liked about this book is that it has short chapters. I could easily finish a couple of chapters while I was in the train and not have to rush trough a chapter before I arrived at my destination place.

Five Flavors of Dumb is awesome. You should pick it up, because well, who doesn’t want to read a book full with awesomeness.

....Petty Witter  – (27 september 2011 om 05:41)  

High praise for this book indeed, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I have to say I love the title.

Missie  – (27 september 2011 om 08:31)  

I've had this one on my TBR forever! I need to make time for it because I do keep hearing that it is awesome! :)

Piper sounds very remarkable. And I can't wait to meet Ed.

Thanks for the review, Nina.

Mimi Valentine  – (27 september 2011 om 12:51)  

Oh my gosh, that sounds so awesome! I love that it's about a girl who can't hear because I've never read a book with a deaf protagonist before either! I think that's just amazing, and that you gave it five hearts must mean it's even more amazing!

Awesome review, Nina! Of course I want to read a book full with awesomeness -- that's exactly why I'm adding this one to my TBR list! :)

Blodeuedd  – (27 september 2011 om 13:25)  

Sounds awesome :D And the cover is awesome too, and now I can't stop writing awesome

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (27 september 2011 om 17:24)  

Hmm...this isn't one I was planning on reading at all, but seeing how much you enjoyed it, I might have to reconsider!

Jenny N.  – (28 september 2011 om 09:22)  

It sounds awesome and now I want to read it too.

Cindy (Oodles of Books)  – (28 september 2011 om 09:54)  

I love awesome and this sounds awesome and now that I know you think its awesome too, I can't wait to pick it up. LOL. Great review :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (28 september 2011 om 13:50)  

Oh I so need to pick up this book. It does sound fab!! I also haven't read a book with a deaf protag! Sounds so good!

A Canadian Girl  – (29 september 2011 om 07:02)  

I put this in my TBR list after hearing all the good things about it and finding out the MC was deaf. You just don't have too many books where the protagonist is deaf.

I love that Piper's family is present in the book and care about her because a lot of YA novels tend to have absent/uncaring parents.

Mari - Escape In A Book  – (29 september 2011 om 09:43)  

Five Flavors of Dumb sounds like a wonderful read and I love the fact that one can perhaps understand in some small way how it must be to be a deaf teenager. Loved your review, Nina. I'm surfin' over to GR now and adds this to my wishlist.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP