Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley

Title: Where I Belong
Written by: Gwendolyn Heasley
Release date: February, 2011
Pages: 304
Source: Bought

My feelings:



Description:
Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . .
When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed.

My Review:
I love this cover. It’s such a cute, romantic cover and gives you the impression that it’s all about finding love in unexpected places. But this cover is misleading, because the story is not all about love, it’s more about growing up.

Corrinne is annoying. I’m sorry, but she was. She whines, talks about brands that she always bought (like Gucci, Prada etc.), loathes Texas, and talk about how amazing New York is all the time. I could not stand this person. I wanted someone to slap her in the face and just burst her bubble. And I’m so glad that it finally burst, but it did take a long time for it to happen. I was at page 130 (or so) and then I thought it was just too cliché. She meets a boy who’s hot and plays in a band. OMG, freaking annoying. Yes, readers, there are characters I did love, like her grandparents, little brother and her new friend at school. They where fantastic and I really liked them.

Corrinne starts to learn that life isn’t always peachy perfect and that hers in New York certainly wasn’t. I love that she finally realises that there’s so much more then buying expensive clothes and going out everyday. Her growing process took a long time, but that’s naturally. So, the plot was good, but it was all a bit too cliché for me to really fell in love with the story.

Don’t be fooled by the cover, buy it if you want a nice growing up story.

Mimi Valentine  – (10 oktober 2011 om 06:58)  

I love that cover too! It's so sweet and somewhat country-looking, which I absolutely adore!

It's too bad this wasn't as good as you hoped it would be! I can't stand main characters who whine a lot either, so I don't blame you for disliking Corinne. And it's totally the characters that a make a book because it's hard to enjoy a novel where you constantly want to slap the MC LOL! x)

Awesome review, Nina! :)

Missie  – (10 oktober 2011 om 07:24)  

Yup, I've read a few reviews that say much the same about the misleading cover, and what a shame because I love the cover too, and the fact that it hints at a romance is what makes me love it even more.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't be able to stand Corrine either. She seems to be so stereotypical, and I rather avoid those kind of characters if I can.

Thanks for the honest review, Nina. :)

Christina / Book Addict  – (10 oktober 2011 om 09:00)  

Thanks for the honest review, Nina! I have this one on my bookshelf, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am sorry you were disappointed. It irritates me too when characters are so stereotypical and the plot is filled with cliches. I may wait to read this one!

Marce  – (10 oktober 2011 om 10:17)  

I agree the cover is dreamy. I love that most will say heels don't belong out by the farm but I would be like her, dressed cute walking in heels, lol. The cover made me smile.

Jenny  – (10 oktober 2011 om 11:59)  

Hm. It sounds like I would have trouble liking Corrinne even if she does eventually grow out of her NYC elitist attitude a bit. I think I'll wait on this one, thanks Nina!

Blodeuedd  – (10 oktober 2011 om 13:07)  

Don't be fooled by the cover? But it is just so cute!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (10 oktober 2011 om 13:26)  

LOL No, I don't think I'd be as patient with the characters as you were. This would be a pass for me. Loved your review tho! :)

GABY  – (10 oktober 2011 om 13:56)  

I love the cover but I thought it was a love story!

Melissa (i swim for oceans)  – (10 oktober 2011 om 19:34)  

Cliche isn't for me, unfortunately. This sounds like the side of contemporary fiction that I just don't love. I think it sounds cute, but that's as much as I can take. Great honest review, Nina :)

....Petty Witter  – (11 oktober 2011 om 06:30)  

A nice growing up story? I suppose it makes a change from all those books that seem full of teenage angst.

As you say, a great cover - like Mimi Valentine I also think there is something very western about it.

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (11 oktober 2011 om 20:19)  

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I could handle Corinne. Girls like her-ones that have everything handed to them and freak out when they face any kind of hardship-tend to annoy me. I think I'll pass on this for now...Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Nina!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP