Reading Like: Carrie Bradshaw!


Well, not exactly. Have you seen the movie Sex in the City? If you have, you probably saw that scene where Carrie is in bed reading Love Letters of Great Men. I never had the intention of buying it, but when I saw Love Letters II I thought why not & I bought it.

It’s been lying on my bedside table for a long while now & last night I thought it was time to pick it up and start reading it. It’s such an interesting book. Love Letters II is a book filled with romantic love letters of woman (known & unknown) throughout history. There are love letters written by Anne Boleyn, queen Victoria, Emily Dickinson etc. The letters are filled with compassion, secrets, hopes & longings. They take you away for a little while to another world where Internet did not exist & where writing a letter was the most common thing to do if you needed to contact or tell something to someone. My favourite letter is the letter written by Anne Boleyn. She asks for forgiveness, even though she feels like she didn’t do anything wrong. And even after Henry, her husband, put her in jail & feels like she should be punished for what she did, she still loves him. I love that letter!

Love Letters II is a beautiful collection that every romantic person should have on her or his bedside table. And now I need Love Letters of Great Men.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (9 januari 2012 om 05:15)  

Interesting. I don't know much about AB.

Nina  – (9 januari 2012 om 05:23)  

@Juju: Her letter to Henry is very interesting and so, so good. Lots of drama. ;)

Jenny  – (9 januari 2012 om 07:48)  

Wow, what a cool book! I would love to read letters written by those women, how amazing:) Thanks so much for sharing this Nina!

Vicky B  – (9 januari 2012 om 08:52)  

The scene where she opens her emails and sees that he rewrote them all is one of my favorite of the movie. I am such a hopeless romantic, so I really should read this!

Lisa  – (9 januari 2012 om 09:19)  

These two books sounds amazing. I'll definitely have to check them out!

Blodeuedd  – (9 januari 2012 om 09:24)  

Awww sounds utterly lovely :)

....Petty Witter  – (9 januari 2012 om 09:25)  

It must be interesting to compare the different styles of love letters, to see just how love letters were written in days gone by as opposed to those of more recent times.

Missie  – (9 januari 2012 om 09:56)  

Awe. I loved that scene in SitC, but I thought I read the book that Carrie was referring to didn't really exist. So this review is a nice surprise. That letter by Anne sounds great. I'd be interested in reading it.

Nina  – (9 januari 2012 om 10:50)  

@Jenny: It's really a great read & a fast one. A fabulous read for at night! Have fun reading it when you decide to get a copy.

@Vicky B: I love that scene where she goes to the library. Her clothes are so beautifull! ;) You should get this book & the first one. You will love them.

@Lisa: Def. do that! I really want to get the first one.

@Blodeuedd: I think you will ADORE them.

@Petty Witter: Yeah! Too bad that nobody nowadays write loveletters or letters in that matter. I would love to get a loveletter or letter. :)

@Missie: I thought so too at first, but it's here & you should read it. ;)

Niii  – (9 januari 2012 om 11:21)  

Hi Nina,
Loved To Know about this book,it Looks interesting!
Thanks for Share it with us!

Nina  – (9 januari 2012 om 11:51)  

@Niii: You are very welcome. :)

wdebo  – (9 januari 2012 om 12:33)  

I never actually was very interested in watching Sex In The City, but that book sounds so sweet. I really want to check it out now. Thanks for sharing!

Mimi Valentine  – (9 januari 2012 om 12:39)  

Oh my gosh, this book sounds so sweet! <3 I just LOVE love letters, and I love that this book is a collection of them from a whole bunch of historic people! I'm definitely a romantic, so I definitely want to read this book! Thank you so much for sharing this, Nina! :)

Natalie (Mindful Musings)  – (9 januari 2012 om 13:40)  

Sounds like fun, though I'm not sure if it's for me or not. I tend to be a bit of a cynic when it comes to romance! Lol.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (9 januari 2012 om 15:40)  

I didn't know that since I'm not a fan of the show (don't hate me...) but I'm curious about this book. Sounds so interesting. I'm not romantic, but maybe it will inspire! ;D

bermudaonion  – (9 januari 2012 om 15:54)  

That sounds like a great book to read around Valentine's Day.

Nina  – (10 januari 2012 om 03:55)  

@wdebo: You should def. check it out. Such a good book. Very sweet! :)

@Mimi Valentine: Your second name 'Valentine' is for sure romantic. lol. You should get it, it's really good. I'm hoping that the first one is also that good. ;)

@Natalie: oh no! lol. You can always borrow it at the library & see how you like it.

@Melissa: Not hating you here! :) Def. try it out. I'm sure you can borrow a copy at the library. Perfect for those cold nights.

@bermudaonion: For sure! I'm def. planning to reread this book on the 14th of February. ;) But then next year, because I can't bring this one with me. ;)

Jana  – (10 januari 2012 om 11:47)  

I just went and bought the Love Letters of Great Men because of this post! I think it's an amazing idea, and can't wait to read them! Thanks for drawing my attention to a new book!

- Jana @ http://thatartsyreadergirl.blogspot.com/

Nina  – (10 januari 2012 om 12:15)  

@Jana: That's awesome to hear! I hope you will enjoy it. :)

GABY  – (11 januari 2012 om 13:42)  

Ohh sounds so romantic. I think I'd enjoy to read them.

Nina  – (12 januari 2012 om 05:01)  

@Gaby: Love your new picture! So cool. :) It does sounds like something you might enjoy. ;)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP