David by Mary Hoffman


Title: David
Written by: Mary Hoffman
Release date: October, 2011
Pages: 304
Source: Received from Cari

My Feelings:




Description:
Michelangelo's statue, David, is famous around the world. Millions flock to Italy every year to admire the physical perfection of the young man captured within the marble. But the identity of the model has never been known . . . until now.

In this epic tale, acclaimed author Mary Hoffman imagines the story of Gabriele, a naive but incredibly handsome young man who is hired as Michelangelo's model, only to find himself drawn into a world of spies, political treachery, and murder. Set against the vibrant backdrop of Florence in its most turbulent times, this rich, colorful, thrilling tale gives life to one of the world's greatest masterpieces.


My Review:
Everything that has to do with art or the history of it, I want to read.

Gabriel was a great character. He was na├»ve, did not always do what was right, thought 90% of women, but was very caring and seriously in to deep. I liked Michelangelo, but I would loved if there was more telling of him. The funny part, where I actually shook my head, was when Leonardo Da Vinci entered the story. His character was described as he was the gay guy from Modern Family, hilarious & kind of weird to think of Leonardo Da Vinci that way. 

The plot was great, but at times a bit confusing. All those words & different groups that fought each other was too much and I couldn’t keep them apart. I’m glad that Gabriel found out that they all had their own colours and from then it went smoother. 


The story is told by an older Gabriel and I really enjoyed that. It made it more real and he really told about his younger years in Florence with much passion.

Love historical fiction? I recommend you read David!

Blueicegal ♥  – (7 mei 2012 om 10:02)  

i think i have this somewhere on my shelf. not sure why i haven't given it a go yet since i have enjoyed her previous work. might just fix that!

happy reading, Nina :)

GABY  – (7 mei 2012 om 10:17)  

Sounds interesting, not my usual book but I think I'd enjoy it.

Blodeuedd  – (7 mei 2012 om 10:28)  

Poor gabriel, did he know peeps would stare at his junk so many years later, lol

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (7 mei 2012 om 16:00)  

Art? Oh yea, that would have sold me too. I think I may have to check out this one.

Oh and @Blodeuedd... ROFL!

....Petty Witter  – (8 mei 2012 om 06:16)  

Another one to add to my wish list, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us.

Nina  – (8 mei 2012 om 07:54)  

@Bodeuedd: OMG! ;) lol.

@Melissa: I know, right? Love art!

Missie, The Unread Reader  – (8 mei 2012 om 08:51)  

I love Modern Family! hehe!

That spin on Da Vinci does sound a bit out of place, but it's also bold. And Gabriel...I think I'd swoon over him. :)

Nina  – (8 mei 2012 om 10:48)  

@Missie, The Unread Reader: Yeah, you probably would be swooning all over him. lol. ;) He's HOT! ;)

YA Book Queen  – (12 mei 2012 om 13:44)  

I hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds great! I'm also a fan of reading anything historic, especially when it comes to art.

Lovely review, Nina! :)

Nina  – (11 juni 2012 om 14:04)  

@Ya Book Queen: It's really great. You should def. pick this one up. Loved it. :)

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP