Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry


Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Release date: September, 2010
Pages: 458
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn’t want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash—but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.
Acclaimed horror author Jonathan Maberry makes his young adult debut with this detail-rich depiction of a post-apocalyptic world where humanity has fallen, the dead have risen, and danger is always imminent.


My Review:
With a cover this creepy, I had high hopes for it and thought it would become one of my favourite zombie books ever. Unfortunately this wasn’t so. Yes, the cover is creepy, but that’s basically it. Not that the book was bad or anything, no not at all, but just not what I expected.

Benny is a young boy who holds on to a lot of grudges towards his older brother Tom. I didn’t feel like I could connect with Benny at all. The weird thing was that I could connect with Tom, which is weird because I’m the youngest kid from three sisters. Tom was more mature & he really wanted the best for his little brother. He also has a lot of knowledge of the zombies & fighting skills. Benny was whining a lot of the time in this book and was blaming his brother for almost everything that went wrong in his life. When something happens in this book and Tom disappears, I seriously considered to put the book aside and not read further.


The zombies in this book are just zombies, you know, dead, decaying people staying still until there’s a human around. When Benny & his brother were running because the (obvious) zombies were coming after them, I did feel a little bit of a OMG moment, but not enough to make me sit at the edge of my seat. For me, the story could have used more gory, creepy intense moments.


And then the end comes and I felt a little bit excited. I mean I liked the end & because of it I’m thinking about reading Dust & Decay. I really do want to know more about Tom and see if they all will make it to where they are going. Overall Rot & Ruin was an okay zombie book.


The second book in the series is:
Dust & Decay

Briana  – (23 juni 2012 om 10:05)  

I've only read one zombie book, Generation Dead, and I didn't like it that much. I hear amazing things about the zombie world sometimes, but not typically in YA books.

Anyway, good review :)

YA Book Queen  – (23 juni 2012 om 14:30)  

It sounds like it could've been better...that is one creepy cover, though. Nice honest review! :)

Nina  – (25 juni 2012 om 03:34)  

@Briana: I read Generation Dead too, I didn't liked it at much as I loved the third book in that series. ;) I do love zombie books, but this one wasn't really my thing.

@YA Book Queen: It is, very creepy indeed. If it was better, I would have loved it. Too bad it wasn't so. ;)

A Canadian Girl  – (25 juni 2012 om 20:23)  

Aw, it's too bad this one wasn't as creepy as you thought it would be. Benny would annoy me too. Who wants to read about someone only whining?

Priya -Tabula Rasa  – (1 juli 2012 om 07:47)  

The green eye reminds me somehow of the cover of Oryx and Crake. This book sounds interesting, I've only just started reading zombie books, and I'm looking for some ones!

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP