Interview with...

Interview with starts again, but it won’t be a weekly thing. It will be once or twice a month. 

We’ll see how it goes. You have no clue what Interview with is, check these old ones out.

Haven’t seen you in a while, what have you been doing?

Since February 2012 I’ve been interning in Curacao. I’ve been interning as a History teacher at a pretty small high school. The school has 800 pupils, which is small comparing it to the schools I’ve been interning in the Netherlands. They all had more than 1000 pupils. Big schools! The pupils were fantastic. They were very eager to learn and were interested in the subjects I was teaching. The subjects were the Second World War and the Cold War. Four days in the week I was interning, from 7.30 till 2 o’clock. Thank goodness the classrooms had air-condition. The 
pupils had to wear the school uniform, which was blue jeans and a grey polo shirt. If they wore a grey jeans, they would be send home to change. Strict, right? Very different than in the Netherlands, where the pupils don’t wear uniforms. I loved teaching history in Curacao, loved it.

When I wasn’t teaching, I was travelling and experiencing life in Curacao. Curacao is a beautiful Island. The beaches were fabulous. We used to go on Sunday and stay there, relaxing, for a couple of hours. A history freak like me, must go sightseeing and visit all the museums on the Island. I haven’t visited every museum on the Island, but OMG I’ve been to lots. Two stood out for me the most, Kura Hulanda & the maritime museum. Kura Hulanda is so beautiful. The museum isn’t very big, but very informative about the history of the Island. It also has this gorgeous garden, with beautiful sculptures. The maritime museum is great if you want information about the city & the harbour.

The people living in Curacao are so nice. They were so friendly and kind. On my way to the city, they would greet me and wish me a good day. Maybe it’s the sunny weather that makes them happy.

The thing that I didn’t like about the Island was that they don’t have a lot of bookstores. And the bookstores are small and not all of them have young adult books. When they do have young adult books, they are old ones. Also the bookstores aren’t in the city itself. They are very far and you have to go by car. Now I understand the need for e-readers.

My time in Curacao was so much fun. In June when I came back to the Netherlands, I really had to adjust to the weather (which is bad. Summer has officially begun, but here in the Netherlands it doesn’t feel that way. It’s raining! & it’s cold.) and to everyday life. In Curacao I was used to sit and read on the balcony in the SUN. Here, go sit in the balcony & you catch a cold. Life was crazy when I came back. My thesis was graded and it was good, yay! I also passed my internship. What does this mean? Well, that I’ve graduated. I’m now officially a history teacher! Woohoo! *Happy dance*.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been looking for jobs in high schools, but Europe is in a crisis and it’s hard to find vacancies. Pretty damn hard.  Fingers crossed I find something very soon.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been doing. What have you been doing this week/month?

PS:
Pictures will be posted next week. 

Blodeuedd  – (21 juli 2012 om 12:59)  

Hm...800 small? Lol, well then we got tiny schools

GABY  – (22 juli 2012 om 07:13)  

It seems like you had a great time. I love my e-reader for that reason, I have some bookstores close, but most of then don't sell the books I want to read hehe

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP