Scored by Lauren McLaughlin


Scored by Lauren McLaughlin
Release date: October, 2011
Pages: 242
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Set in the future when teenagers are monitored via camera and their recorded actions and confessions plugged into a computer program that determines their ability to succeed. All kids given a “score” that determines their future potential. This score has the ability to get kids into colleges, grant scholarships, or destroy all hope for the above.

Scored’s reluctant heroine is Imani, a girl whose high score is brought down when her best friend’s score plummets. Where do you draw the line between doing what feels morally right and what can mean your future?
 

My Review:
I had high hopes for Scored. The premise of the story sounded really good and I wanted to know more about why the score was invented, if it was a bad or good thing and the society in the book.

Let’s start with the characters. Imani is a young girl, who had a high score, but because she did something her score has been spiralling down. I never came to know who Imani really was. I thought she would so something about the score, think something up (a brilliant plan) to sabotage it. Unfortunately all we got from her was her thinking about what she will do with her life and her friendship with Cady, which I thought wasn’t that deep. I liked Diego, but again he talked a lot, but did nothing. No action. All in all, the characters were missing the *guts* to actually do something about the score.

The plot was okay. It wasn’t a long read. In spite of missing some action, I wanted to read the whole story and therefore it was well written. The one thing I absolutely did not like was the ending. It was to abrupt.

Scored wasn’t at all what I expected it to be. If there was more action and romance in this story I probably would have liked it a lot more. Even though it has weak characters and an okay plot, the story was readable. 

....Petty Witter  – (23 juli 2012 om 11:22)  

Sounds scary, its a shame that this wasn't all you hoped it would be.

Lisa  – (23 juli 2012 om 12:00)  

Ohh...the premise of this story does sound amazing. It's too bad that it didn't live up to it.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (23 juli 2012 om 12:43)  

Sounds like the plot may not have had all the kinks knocked out of it. At least it was an okay book for you.

Kelsey  – (23 juli 2012 om 19:44)  

I'm sorry this didn't live up to your expectations. I wonder if there are any plans for a sequel?

Nina  – (24 juli 2012 om 02:34)  

@Petty Witter: Def. a shame.

@Lisa: It sounded really good and that´s one of the reasons why I bought the book. (The cover is the other reason) lol. It could have been so much better. But, hey, it´s still readable.

@Blodeuedd: HORRID! Terrible!

@Melissa: Yeah, to bad it wasn´t more than okay.

@Kelsey: Not sure about that.

bermudaonion  – (24 juli 2012 om 07:48)  

The premise of the book does sound good - too bad it didn't pan out.

Marce  – (24 juli 2012 om 07:49)  

To bad your expectations were not met.

BTW

The movie was horrid Nina, I definitely won't recommend seeing not without reading.

I'm glad you tried We Need to talk about Kevin though.

Nina  – (24 juli 2012 om 09:17)  

@bermudaonion: The premise sounded indeed very good. I'm sad that I didn't adored the book. Oh well.

@Marce: Indeed. ;)

@DCMetroreader: Def. dud. :)

A Canadian Girl  – (24 juli 2012 om 10:05)  

This one sounded interesting until I read your review. It's too bad you felt like you never got to know Imani and thought it had weak characters in general, Nina. I think it would have benefited from some more action too.

Nina  – (24 juli 2012 om 11:33)  

@A Canadian GIrl: If there was, I probably would like it more and totally recommend it to other readers. :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog  – (25 juli 2012 om 08:13)  

hmmm yeah, i'd prefer more romance too :)

Jessica(BookLover)  – (25 juli 2012 om 10:44)  

I almost started this book so many times and I haven't. Thanks for your honesty. I'm glad the book held your attention enough to finish it, but I think more action would be nice, too. I'll probably still read it, because the premise is so crazy, but I may put it off for just a little while longer - I have so many other books to read.

Nina  – (25 juli 2012 om 11:55)  

@Jessica: I love action in books & the premise does sounds crazy. I thought it sounded so cool. ;)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (25 juli 2012 om 17:23)  

Bummer to hear. Sounds like it's a start to maybe grow with the next book? If there is a next book? Thanks for the review. :)

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog)  – (26 juli 2012 om 07:12)  

Haven't heard of this one so thanks for review. I don't know how much this would appeal to me personally but it does have potential.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Nina  – (26 juli 2012 om 11:41)  

@Melissa: No idea. I do hope so. :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP