Tempest by Julie Cross


Tempest by Julie Cross
Release date: January, 2012
Pages: 334
Source: Bought 

My Feelings:



Description:
The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


My Review:
Before I start with the characters and the plot, let us take a moment and look at the cover. It’s EPIC. Epic, people.

Jackson is a nice male
protagonist. I say ‘Nice’, because some of his actions around his girlfriend Holly reminded me of one of those players in a teen movie. And that’s not that great, he is a typical teenager with lots of hormones! All the other characters were nice too. They all could have used more depth, maybe then liking them would turn into loving them. Now they just felt a little bit flat.

The plot was at times jumpy and fast paced. Jumpy, because Jackson travelled through time. *like that wasn’t obvious* He stays there a couple of days and then wham, travelled to another time. It didn’t give me enough time to catch my breath and fully understand what was happening. It also gave me a headache!

Even though it didn’t rock my boat, I am satisfied with Tempest. With all the things that could have been better, I’m still going to give the sequel a try. I just want to know how it’s all going to end and if Jackson becomes a more likeable character.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews)  – (30 juli 2012 om 04:20)  

I thought this one was an ok read, but definitely not one of my favourites. I found the time travel rules quite confusing at times.

Bookworm1858  – (30 juli 2012 om 07:30)  

I also didn't really like Jackson although I sympathized with some of his situations through the confusing time jumping. Still haven't decided if I want to read the sequel-haven't heard any information about it yet...

Nina  – (30 juli 2012 om 08:31)  

@Leanna: Def. an okay read for me too, but still excited to read the second book in the series. Lets hope it's going to be better. :)

@Bookworm: Very confusing, right?.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (30 juli 2012 om 12:00)  

I do like the cover too! Too bad it was a bit flat, but still seems like worth a read. Maybe I'll library book it.

Nina  – (30 juli 2012 om 12:55)  

@Melissa: Yeah, def do that! And then if you love it, you can always buy it. :) The cover is fabulous, I love it.

YA Book Queen  – (30 juli 2012 om 16:25)  

That cover is definitely epic!

I agree about the characters, they really did need more depth. It was a decent book, but it could have been better.

Nice review, Nina! :)

Nina  – (31 juli 2012 om 09:36)  

@YA Book Queen: Fingers crossed the sequel will rock our boat! :)

Missie, The Unread Reader  – (31 juli 2012 om 12:48)  

Sometimes I'm not sure if male teens are hormonal because that's the stereotype or because they really are overflowing with hormones. LOL

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (1 augustus 2012 om 17:32)  

I do agree with you on the cover. And maybe the next book will iron out some. Thanks for your thoughts!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP