The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Release date: April, 2012
Pages: 327
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My Review:
The first night I started reading The Selection I read for about 50 pages and couldn’t read further. The characters were irritating, we know America is beautiful, you don’t have to tell me this a million times (and I’m seriously exaggerating here, but OMG, it felt that way!). But, I still wanted to give it a try and I ended up liking it a lot.

America is not a flawless character, which is great. She’s strong-headed, kind and a doubter. She couldn’t choose between Aspen and Maxon & I seriously couldn’t understand why. I’m team Maxon all the way! Maxon is kind and sweet, but he could have use some *balls*. He’s all America this, America that & at times I seriously wanted to whack him on the head and say there are other girls in the competition too! I liked the other characters as well, especially Marlee and Celeste, even though Celeste is pretty rude.

The plot is great, it’s dramalicious and we all know I like that. A lot. The political background of the story wasn’t fully described and I do hope that we get to read more about it in the sequel. I would like to know more about the North and the Southern rebels. But, put 35 girls in a place to fight for one prince is fun to read about, very entertaining!

Me + drama = Me Happy! I want BOOK two!

Bookworm1858  – (6 augustus 2012 om 07:35)  

I loved the drama of the girls all together too. I am also firmly Team Maxon (Aspen sucks!)

Maria  – (6 augustus 2012 om 07:45)  

I've heard mixed reviews about The Selection. A lot of people seemed to be disappointed. I'll probably still give it a try especially if they're still planning to air the TV series (I'm really not sure with the progress of that).

Also if you didn't catch my reply on my Manga Monday post:

I have read Kimi Ni Todoke! It's a pretty good manga, the romance is slow but that's fine with me as there was so much character development with the main character, and I loved the friendships she starts making. Plus it was a really cute and sweet overall manga!

Jenny  – (6 augustus 2012 om 07:56)  

Yay! Glad you kept with this one even after the first 50 pages were problematic for you. I really enjoyed this book, I was happy with the drama too and am now in desperate need of book 2:)

Roxy  – (6 augustus 2012 om 09:09)  

OMG! I love this book so so much! You are right about the beginning being a little bit slow, but I still love it. Although I am not 100% sure, I heard they are going to make this book a TV show on the CW and I'm interesting to see how that goes. Anyway, I'm super excited to see get my hands on the sequel!

Blodeuedd  – (6 augustus 2012 om 09:18)  

I fear I read some drama about the author and cos of that, no

Lisa  – (6 augustus 2012 om 09:25)  

I definitely want to know more about what's happening outside the mansion too. These rebels have captured my attention and I want more.

I agree that I'm team Maxon all the way!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (6 augustus 2012 om 11:07)  

I'm still not sure if this one is for me. If it irritated you, I know it will irritate me. I'm glad you got over it to get into the plot, but I don't know if I'll be able to do that. I guess I may pick it up at the library. I am curious. Hm...

Nina  – (6 augustus 2012 om 11:58)  

@Bookworm1858: Totally! LOL.

@Maria: Thank you. That helps so much. Def. going to get the first three in the series for my friend. And then probably borrow them to read for myself. LOL. I would love it, if the Selection would become a TV show. I would watch that. Yep, I would.

@Blodeuedd: I understand!

Lauren  – (7 augustus 2012 om 07:10)  

I'm glad to hear it got better after those first fifity pages! Anyhow, America sounds like an interesting main character- I love the un-flawless ones too. And I'm curious to find out more about Aspen and Maxon now. Great review! :) Also, your second to last sentence so describes me and drama too!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (7 augustus 2012 om 17:35)  

Sounds like you have to go in with the right thinking with the way it started. :) Glad to hear you ended up really enjoying it. :)

Teddyree  – (9 augustus 2012 om 01:59)  

I actually picked this one up purely because I adored the cover. Haven't read it yet because the author/agent drama left a sour taste in my mouth but maybe down the track. Glad to know you enjoyed it :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP