Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
Release date: February, 2012
Pages: 330
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.


My Review:
After founding out that the book is about three sister witches my expectations were very high. And I can tell you that 
Born Wicked is an absolutely amazing book & it exceeded my expectations. 

Cate is the oldest sister. She’s protective , tolerant and tries to set a good example for her sisters. She’s a great heroine, but at times she could have been more open to her sisters. If she could have trusted them a bit more she would be a much kinder character. I did understood why she kept a lot of secrets from her sisters, but I wanted her to more open. I liked Tess and Maura too, up until Maura lost herself and behaved rather “inappropriate”. From that point my feelings towards her went downhill.

The plot is great. The brother and sisterhood are both very interesting and I can’t wait to find out more about them. I also loved the mysterious, magical feeling of the book. One thing that didn’t really work out for me was the love triangle. If there was more depth to the boys I probably would have liked it.

I highly recommend Born Wicked! & to fans of the TV show Charmed I just want to say: you definitely should read this book!

The second book in the series is:
Star Cursed (Coming February, 2013) 

Christina / Book Addict  – (24 september 2012 om 05:29)  

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It ended up being one of my favorites of the year. I never really related it to Charmed, but you are right! They are definitely similar. Great review, Nina!

Lisa  – (24 september 2012 om 11:00)  

I absolutely loved this book too. It was so good! Cate made a great narrator and I loved how she looked out for everyone.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (24 september 2012 om 12:39)  

I enjoyed this one too and need to read that second book. I may have to reread this one to remind myself of what happened. LOL

Mel - Thedailyprophecy.  – (24 september 2012 om 16:24)  

I just found out that you are a Dutchie too. Great! :D

This one is very high on my list. I like to read about witches (and the cover is wonderful) Nice review!

A Canadian Girl  – (24 september 2012 om 16:31)  

I've seen some mixed reviews for this one so I'm happy you liked this one, Nina. I still need to check it out (although it's kind of too bad that the love interests lacked depth).

Elodie  – (25 september 2012 om 02:27)  

I haven't read many books about witches and this one sounds very good. I'm not a big fan of love triangles either .. But I think I'll give a shot to this book anyway :)!! Thanks for the great review :)

Kristin  – (25 september 2012 om 17:06)  

I have been wanting to read this one for a long time! I loved the show Charmed, I haven't read a good book with witches in a while, defintely going to look into this one! Great Review!

Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

Roxy  – (25 september 2012 om 19:31)  

I really liked this one, but I was not a really big fan of the love triangle. A lot of people liked Finn, but I rather prefer Paul. Now, if they both had some more depth maybe I would have a harder time deciding.

Charlene C  – (26 september 2012 om 13:12)  

I've not heard of this one, but from your review I think I would like it! Great review!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (26 september 2012 om 17:04)  

Oh wonderful! I like the sounds of this one, and glad you enjoyed it. Wow. The next book is coming out in February! Hmmm... thanks!

Lily Child  – (26 september 2012 om 23:13)  

I remember really enjoying this book! I'm excited about the sequel!

Jenny  – (27 september 2012 om 18:32)  

I'm not that excited for the second book because I heard it won't be in Cate's voice anymore and it's the sister I don't like so much, Maura! I'm still hoping that's not the case! Great review as always! <3

-Bookworm Mia

Liana Chau  – (27 september 2012 om 19:22)  

Hi there! I'm a new follower. Would love it if you followed back! http://bookaholicness.com. Also, congrats on the FF feature!

YA Book Queen  – (28 september 2012 om 09:29)  

The love triangle wasn't very well done, but the magic was wonderful. I'm definitely excited for the sequel!

Fabulous review :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP