GNR: Smoke and Mirrors by Ryan Browne, Mike Costa & Jon Armstrong

Now and then I’ll read graphic novels or comic books. And because they are usually short, my review for them will be short as well. GNR stands for Graphic Novel Review! 

Smoke and Mirrors by Ryan Browne, Mike Costa & Jon Armstrong 
Release date: October, 2012
Pages: 42
Source:
IDW Publishing

My Feelings:



Description:
ENTER A WORLD OF MAGIC! Stage magician Terry Ward is thrust into a world where magic — not technology — rules, and forced to use trickery and illusions to survive! But will that prove to be enough when the dangers of the world start compounding — how can a sleight of hand artist compete with users of practical spells?

My Review: 
The first issue is awesome & sets immediately the tone of the rest of the series. We get introduced with the main characters, the little nosy boy, his teacher (the know it all) and the mysterious men. In this issue the teacher stood out for me. He is portrayed as a very smart men who knows a lot about magic, but I think there’s more to him. He could be the evil one in this series. The pacing was fast-paced and in no time I read the first issue. I also love the drawings. They are beautiful and colourful. They look like vintage posters. A great start!

Smoke and Mirrors Issue 2 by Ryan Browne, Mike Costa & Jon Armstrong
Release date: October, 2012
Pages: 42
Source:
IDW Publishing

My Feelings:



Description:
See 1.

My Review: 
The sequel is quite nice, but not as great as the first one. This one is more about the little boy learning magic tricks from Terry. I want to know more about Terry and where he comes from, his past. I did like the story, but it was a bit boring and the pacing could have been faster. However it is a nice follow up, but it could have been a lot better if we got more of Terry. & btw I love these covers. They are fabulous!




Smoke and Mirrors Issue 3 by Ryan Browne, Mike Costa & Jon Armstrong 
Release date: October, 2012
Pages: 42
Source:
IDW Publishing

My Feelings:



Description:
See 1.

My Review:

In the third issue we get to know more about the past of Terry & it was a revelation! I liked it a lot. Now I want more of him and I want to find out if he’s trying to go back to the "world" where he comes from. The little boy was annoying. He acted stupid and rude to Terry.
I did like this story a lot better than the second issue. It was surprising and fast paced, just how I like it. I can’t wait to find out more about Terry and the *evil* teacher.

I highly recommend reading this Graphic Novel! 

Katja Weinert  – (13 september 2012 om 06:39)  

I've never heard of these and it sounds like a lovely little series of graphic novels. Good to find a set that are so enjoyable :)

Nina  – (13 september 2012 om 07:05)  

@Katja: Very enjoyable! I liked them a lot & they were so short! Hooray! :)

....Petty Witter  – (13 september 2012 om 07:11)  

Not a genre I've ever read, I should really try.

Nina  – (13 september 2012 om 07:14)  

@Petty Witter: I started reading Graphic Novels last year & I really liked it. Well, some of them are! Def. try it & let me know what you thought of it. Curious!

Jenny  – (13 september 2012 om 07:54)  

The drawings definitely do look like vintage posters, that's what I thought they were initially:) I have yet to read a graphic novel and I have no idea why, I think I would really enjoy them as I'm a HUGE fan of anything illustrated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these Nina!

Nina  – (13 september 2012 om 07:55)  

@Jenny: You're welcome! :) Aren't they pretty? They would make fun postcards too.

Lisa  – (13 september 2012 om 08:04)  

I haven't really tried this genre but it's interesting hearing what others are saying. I like this post because it exposes me to things I wouldn't normally come across!

Nina  – (13 september 2012 om 09:13)  

@Lisa: Yay! :) Fingers crossed you will try a GN one of these days and love it! ;)

Blodeuedd  – (13 september 2012 om 12:52)  

And I need to read more graphic novels! :D

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (13 september 2012 om 12:57)  

These look like fun. I also know of a couple boys that really might enjoy these. Plus the illustrations look so great! Oh thanks for letting me know about these.

Nina  – (14 september 2012 om 04:56)  

@Blodeuedd: lol. ;)

@Melissa: These are fun! The illustrations are beautiful, aren't they?

@Carrie at the Hammlock Blog: Me too!

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP