The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
Release date: August, 2011
Pages: 282
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen.
The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.
And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi's need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.


My Review:
While I was browsing books to buy and read in September, I remembered The Near Witch. A lot of readers were raving about the book and telling everyone how great it was. I also remembered the beautiful cover it had and I decided to look it up and order it. When I received the book I didn’t fall in love with the cover like I thought I would. For me it has nothing special, but the story inside is spectacular.

Lexi is a great character. Very brave, love the outdoors and follows her heart. Cole was a great character too, but the connection that Lexi had with him was lost on me. It was all too quick. The little sister, mother and uncle were great characters too. Even though her uncle was strict and they had their little tiffs, I still liked him a lot. A caring character. I loved Magda and Dreska. They are incredible. If I could have a bit more of them in the story I probably would give the book 5 hearts.

The mystery was very intriguing, but not enough. The mystery was solved very fast and everyone who reads the back knows who took the children. But, the creepiness around it and the setting of the story made it a spooky fairy tale. The story reminded me of one of my favourite movies Hocus Pocus. They sing a song ‘Come Little Children’ and the children come to them in the middle of the night. Def. the same here.

I highly recommend! 

Maria  – (17 september 2012 om 06:37)  

I've been seeing The Near Witch for quite a while, had no idea what it was about until now. Sounds like a great book with the mystery and the town of Near. I love books about small towns, especially ones that are odd or have more to them than meets the eye.

Sharrice Hewlett  – (17 september 2012 om 08:22)  

I haven't heard of this books but it sounds interesting. I wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog today. You completely made my day, since I was thinking "does anyone even read my darn blog?" haha so thank you so so much and happy reading!!!!

Lisa  – (17 september 2012 om 08:37)  

I love Hocus Pocus too! It is one of my favorite movies and I have to watch it every October.

We Fancy Books  – (17 september 2012 om 09:58)  

I recently read this book! I fell in love with the writing! Great review!

~Jay
We Fancy Books

Braine TS  – (17 september 2012 om 10:41)  

This is the first time I've seen this book and now you got me curious.

Talk Supe
Reader Tribute

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (17 september 2012 om 12:33)  

I agree with you. I did enjoy it but I also thought it was too quick with Cole. Still, you are so right.. I enjoyed the dark parts of the story.

Carmen Jenner  – (17 september 2012 om 18:38)  

Great review! I remember seeing this a little while back, but now I will have to check it out!
Thanks for stopping by!! =D

Bookworm1858  – (17 september 2012 om 20:49)  

Glad you liked this-this wasn't a great read for me as I found it too slow but I know almost everyone else seemed to like it.

Lily Child  – (18 september 2012 om 00:40)  

Such a great book! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Elodie  – (18 september 2012 om 01:17)  

This book sounds pretty cool. I guess I should give it a shot because everyone seems to like it. Thanks for the great review Nina ;)

Charlotte (The Book on the Hill)  – (18 september 2012 om 02:00)  

It definitely sounds intriguing, the atmosphere at least. Glad you liked it even if the story lacked a little something. :)

Sydney  – (18 september 2012 om 02:16)  

The cover and the summary hadn't really attracted my attention. It does sound good though, judging by your review.

....Petty Witter  – (18 september 2012 om 07:34)  

Liking the sound of this one and what a wonderful cover.

Sugar and Snark  – (18 september 2012 om 10:53)  

Ooooh great review! I will have to check this out :)

Krystianna  – (18 september 2012 om 12:28)  

I'm glad to see that you highly recommend this one! I've seen many rave reviews for it as well. Maybe I'll have to buy a copy for a creepy read next month. :)

Thanks for the review!

Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (18 september 2012 om 17:17)  

Oh! I had completely forgot about this one now. Great to see you loved it and highly recommend. :) Thank you!!

A Canadian Girl  – (18 september 2012 om 19:37)  

Yay, I'm glad you liked this too, Nina. The writing is amazing and so creepy.

Pixie Lynn Whitfield  – (20 september 2012 om 21:34)  

Fantastic review. I recently read her upcoming 2013 release "The Archived" and it's amazing. Her writing is mind-blowing and creative. I'm ashamed that I haven't read The Near Witch yet, but it's never stocked at my local book store, so I'm going to just have to break down and order it from an online store instead. :P I'm definitely getting it.

Hocus Pocus was one of my favorites growing up, too. Glad to see there was a small comparison there. Makes me all the more interested in wanting to read this. :)

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

P.S. Following you back. Love your blog! :)

<3
Pixie
http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.com

Teddyree  – (21 september 2012 om 15:15)  

I think I received an ARC of this one on NetGalley but it expired before I got around to reading it ... kicking myself now lol

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP