The reading blues

Those times when reading isn’t fun anymore or that time when you put a book down, because it really sucked & you couldn’t pick up another book for days. Those days when your motivation or thrive to read wasn’t there anymore. Your *mojo* was gone, disappeared or vaporized in thin air. I call those times the reading blues. Having the reading blues is not fun. It’s horrible. And I got it big time. That’s one of the reasons why I didn’t blog so much these two weeks. I had no energy, no motivation to read and after work all I wanted to do was watch the Daily Show. I know! I still got the reading blues, but today my goal is to finish the book I started a week ago. I can do it! Yes, I can! If finishing the book won’t help me get over the blues, I will do one of the following things:

Look at my to be read pile & pick a book I really want to read.
I like to do this a lot. I like shiny books, they make me happy. Just looking at new, shiny books, makes me want to read them.

Rearrange my bookshelves.
Okay, so I don’t have bookshelves (I know!), but I do have books in a lot of boxes. I love to open those boxes and just rearrange the books in them. Weird? Probably, but it helps. I usually end up with a old book in my hand that I read, loved and had long forgotten & want to reread again.

Change my to be read pile.
Sometimes I don’t want to read books that are in my to be read pile, and therefore I will change the books that I don’t want to read in books that I desperately want to read.

Challenge myself.
I challenged myself to read 50 books this year (Goodreads challenge). I also challenged myself to read all the Harry Potter books and the Hunger Games series. It sometimes will help if you have a goal in your mind. You do have to keep in mind (and every blogger has said it before) reading is for fun!

Read one of my favourite books.
Emma by Jane Austen is one of my all-time favourite books & rereading it probably will help me get over the blues.

And when my mojo is still missing, I'm going to just relax and watch a movie or a drama filled reality TV show, like for example the Jersey Shore or the Real Housewives of Atlanta. In no time I probably want to turn the TV off and read a good book to forget all the horrible events everything I just watched! Fingers crossed my mojo to read will be back tonight!

Tell me, what are your tips to get out of a reading slump?

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (17 november 2012 06:57)  

You too pumpkin? I'm in a slump as well. I posted about it recently and was surprised to hear it's like a flu in the book blogging community right now. It's running rampant.

I heard lots of the advice you listed, try a different genre, watch tv, read a favorite, etc. etc.

Good luck!
Let's hope this flu clears soon.

Christina / Book Addict  – (17 november 2012 12:18)  

Oh no! I hope you get out of your slump soon. It happens to us all. I always try to read a favorite book too- Emma is one of my favorites as well!

Blodeuedd  – (17 november 2012 13:25)  

Honestly I just read on, change genres and if nothing works, re.read a good book

Mel@Thedailyprophecy.  – (17 november 2012 15:03)  

I always feel blessed with the fact that I hardly have any reading slumps *knocks on some wood* but if I tend to get.. bored with some books, I always re-read an oldie. Most of the time I grab a Harry Potter book from my shelves. Rearranging bookshelves and reading piles is so much fun :p

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

....Petty Witter  – (18 november 2012 06:55)  

Here's hoping your mojo is soon back. Limited by my lack of mobility as I am I just look at the alternatives, daytime tv, and soon feel the need to pick up a book again.

Lily Child  – (19 november 2012 03:34)  

Slumps suck. :( Changing my TBR pile oddly helps too!!!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (19 november 2012 12:42)  

I'm in one right now as well. Too many things I'm not looking forward to, and not enough fun. :P

Hopefully you'll have found your reading mojo again soon!

Sophia  – (20 november 2012 17:31)  

When I'm in a reading slump, I definitely always reread some of my favorite books. I did that just yesterday, in fact! I was getting bored with a book, so I dropped it and reread Anna and the French Kiss. I also tend to read books by my favorite authors when I'm in a slump, because I know that they'll deliver.

Sophia  – (20 november 2012 17:31)  

When I'm in a reading slump, I definitely always reread some of my favorite books. I did that just yesterday, in fact! I was getting bored with a book, so I dropped it and reread Anna and the French Kiss. I also tend to read books by my favorite authors when I'm in a slump, because I know that they'll deliver.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP