SR: The Girl Behind The Glass & The Mysterious Howling

The Girl Behind The Glass by Jane Kelley
Release date: August, 2011
Pages: 192
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Eleven-year-old twins Hannah and Anna agree about everything—especially that they don't want to move to the creepy old house on Hemlock Road. But as soon as they move into the house, the twins start disagreeing for the first time in their lives. In fact, it's almost as though something or someone is trying to drive them apart. While Anna settles in, Hannah can't ignore the strange things that keep happening on Hemlock Road. Why does she sense things that no one else in the family does?  Like when the hemlock branch outside waves shush, shush. Or at night, if she listens hard enough, it's almost as though someone is trying to talk to her. Someone no one else can hear. Someone angry enough to want revenge. Hannah, are you listening? Is the house haunted? Is Hannah crazy? Or does something in the house want her as a best friend—forever?

My Review:
The Girl Behind the Glass is a nice ghost story for middle graders! The twins Hannah and Anna are great characters. They look out for each other, are caring and like to play tricks with their older sister. Oh and they also adore reading! At first I was confused with the narrator of the story. I didn’t know who it was. But, I figured it out and I guess for middle graders “the voice” would be very creepy. It gives an spooky vibe to the story. The plot itself is quite easy to understand and to follow. It didn’t give me chills, but the book is target for a younger audience! Lol. The ending is really nice. It wraps everything up all nicely. Perfect for young readers!



The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
Release date: March, 2010
Pages: 267
Source: Bought

My Feelings:



Description:
Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?



My Review:
The Mysterious Howling was one of the books on my to be read pile for the 24 hour read-a-thon from last year. And it is the first book in The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series. Penelope reminded me of Mary Poppins and I liked this character a lot. She’s sweet, caring, considerate and honest. The three children were great too. They were a bit weird, but still very cute! The mystery remains a mystery to me. The first book sets the tone for the rest of the series and there are a lot of questions at the end. I’m looking forward reading the rest of the series. 

Joanna  – (24 januari 2013 10:43)  

That second book sounds like fun - I definitely need lighter but still interesting books in my mix!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (24 januari 2013 11:55)  

Oh looks like I got some good books here to recommend to a couple of my cousins! Sweet!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (24 januari 2013 16:05)  

I realllllly liked The Mysterious Howling too. I too need to keep reading. Who is howling?

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (24 januari 2013 17:47)  

Sounds like a few good younger reads. It is always nice to share with the kids, I know I enjoy it with my son. :) Thank you!

The Readdicts  – (26 januari 2013 23:31)  

Aw! You were reminded of Mary Poppins! This sounds like an interesting read and I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Nice review, Nina! :D

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Maji Bookshelf  – (28 januari 2013 07:36)  

Aww i miss mary poppins!! They both sound like very interesting books! Great review dear!
- Farah @ MajiBookshelf

Charlene C  – (28 januari 2013 13:25)  

Both of these books sounds great! I've heard more about The Mysterious Howling and really want to read that soon!

Katja Weinert  – (29 januari 2013 09:23)  

The Mysterious Howling sounds like such a fun read! Thanks for sharing, Nina :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP