SR: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
Release date: August, 2012
Pages: 354
Source: Egmont UK

My Feelings:



Description:
Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

My Review:
Why We Broke Up was interesting. Yep, you’ve read it right. It was not the best read, neither was it the worst. It was an okay read. Min was a very artsy girl which is fun and cool, a bit na├»ve and loves old movies. Ed is the bad boy in the story, he was just a typical teenager. Doesn’t want to be tied down and yeah, I didn’t really like the boy. The illustrations are beautiful. They make the story! There is too much talk and not a lot of other stuff going on. I need other stuff! I need them bad. Anyway, if you need an interesting book with lots and lots of words/ language you should try it. 

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com  – (18 februari 2013 om 06:18)  

Sorry you didn't love it. I've been meaning to pick this one up.

Bookworm1858  – (18 februari 2013 om 07:18)  

I liked this book at first but then thought it dragged. I couldn't believe how much time Min was spending recapping their barely one month relationship. It didn't seem worth it.

Lisa  – (18 februari 2013 om 08:15)  

I loved the way this novel was set up. It was fun starting with an object and learning the story behind it and how it lead to their breaking up.

Christina / Book Addict  – (18 februari 2013 om 10:23)  

I've read some mixed reviews of this one. I'm sorry it wasn't a fantastic read for you and it was sort of middle of the road. I heard this book is going to be made into a movie for 2014. Hopefully I can read the book before I see the movie. Thanks for the great review!

Brandi Kosiner  – (18 februari 2013 om 10:53)  

Sorry it was too much talk and not enough going on otherwise, but glad you enjoyed a bit.
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Mel@Thedailyprophecy  – (18 februari 2013 om 12:13)  

I'm sorry you didn't love it so much. I do like illustrations in books. That might be a reason for me to pick it up from the library :)

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (18 februari 2013 om 12:14)  

Well, "okay" sometimes is okay to me. You do have me curious about the illustrations and I think that is what may draw me to this (pun intended). Might be something I enjoy.

A Canadian Girl  – (18 februari 2013 om 19:24)  

Laughing at your statement about needing stuff other than conversation. I've heard this one is pretty good but can't seem to make myself care enough about reading it.

Nina  – (21 februari 2013 om 03:36)  

@Juju: Me too!

@Bookworm: I agree. I mean, damn girl get over it already. He wasn't that special!

@Lisa: I loved some of the descriptions & all of the illustrations were beautiful. But, too much words and not a lot of action. I hate that.

@Christina: Really? Well, I didn't love the book, but I would like to see the movie. Hopefully with some great actors. ;)

@Brandi: Me too!

@Melissa: Yeah, the drawings were beautiful. Well done! You would love it too.

@A Canadian Girl: I need more stuff! Really! lol. :)

Braine TS  – (21 februari 2013 om 19:41)  

Lots of words: like dictionary words? Sounds like a nerdy read. I love needy reads.

Nina  – (22 februari 2013 om 06:35)  

@Brain TS: nerdy reads? lol. No, in too much character talking & no action!

The Readdicts  – (23 februari 2013 om 08:13)  

This does sound interesting! I quite like the bad guys so maybe I'll like Ed. ;) Awesome review, Nina!

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP