Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Release date: March, 2011
Pages: 358
Source: Borrowed
Part of: Dystopian challenge & Personal challenge

My Feelings:



Description:
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?

My Review:
Holy moly, this book is awesome. Why I haven’t I read the Chemical Garden trilogy sooner? Seriously, it’s so good! If the second book in the series is as good as Wither I will buy the books in hardcover! 

First of all, the cover is gorgeous. One of the reasons why I wanted to read the book, second because it’s dystopian and I want to read lots of dystopians this year. But, then the story inside is even better than the cover. Fantastic! 

The characters are intriguing! Rhine is determined to find a way to go home. She’s has a lot of strength, is charming, caring and a fighter. There was no doubt that she was going to leave that place and I love her for her determination. Gabriel was sweet, but I didn’t really get to know him. We probably get to know him more in the second book. The sister wives, Cecily and Jenna, were both great characters as well. Cecily was really na├»ve and very, very young. Jenna was strong. I really enjoyed reading the relationship Rhine has with her sister wives. It was honest and they truly cared about each other. Linden, damn that dude needs a wake-up call. He’s in his own world and doesn’t know anything what his father does/or is. I felt sorry for him. Lindens father was creepy! He was evil, really! No good words for him.

The plot is really good and addicting. The world where these characters live in is fascinating. I mean, boys and girls dying when they turn 25. Scary! I do feel like there could have been a bit of explanation about the virus. I’m curious about it and hopefully we will read more about it in the second book. The end of the story leaves you just wanting more. A very neat end. 


I loved the plot, the characters, the futuristic world, Wither was just very entertaining! I can’t wait to read the sequel!

Ula (Blog of Erised)  – (7 april 2013 om 09:22)  

I have yet to start the series so I just skimmed the review. I look forward to the series!
Enjoy Divergent! :)

A Canadian Girl  – (7 april 2013 om 10:20)  

I still haven't read this series as I've heard it's slow and I don't do well with slow-paced dystopians. Although you loved it, did you find that to be the case too, Nina?

Lectus Read  – (7 april 2013 om 12:25)  

I loved this first book in the series! Unfortunately, by the time I got to the second book my interest had waned, my connection to the characters was lost, and I couldn't even finish it :-(

Mel@Thedailyprophecy  – (7 april 2013 om 13:10)  

I also really liked this book! I hope to re-read it soon, so I can finally continue this series :)

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Christianna Marks  – (7 april 2013 om 17:17)  

I have this one sitting on my shelves but I have yet to read it! Guess I should get on that soon?!

Jenny N.  – (7 april 2013 om 19:20)  

Yay! *claps hands excitedly* You finally read it and see how great it was too. It's one of my favorite dystpian series far but I still need to read bk 3 and see how it all ends.

My anxious life  – (7 april 2013 om 19:50)  

I loved this series. Very good. I think it ended well too. I was actually really satisfied so I recommend continuing. The second one does have that middle of the road book feel but overall good stuff!

Angie

Bookworm1858  – (7 april 2013 om 20:14)  

I still think this is one of the most beautiful covers ever-yes, it's a girl in a pretty dress but there's so much more to it! Glad the story held up for you-I had mixed to positive feelings about the sequel but am still looking forward to completing the trilogy.

Cindy  – (7 april 2013 om 20:46)  

I have yet to read this series, and I have been hesitant to start it. I am glad you enjoyed it and might pick it up in the near future. Great review :)

Christina / Book Addict  – (8 april 2013 om 07:10)  

I really liked this one too and I have no idea why I haven't picked up book two yet. I'm glad you liked it and I love the cover, too!

Brandi Kosiner  – (8 april 2013 om 07:16)  

I love the plot and the characters as well. The 1st book was my fave but I liked the rest of the series as well.
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Andrea  – (8 april 2013 om 12:11)  

I like the cover. The model looks like Mandy Moore.
It sounds like an excellent read. I'll have to give it a try.

Charlene C  – (8 april 2013 om 16:34)  

I have this book on my TBR list! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, I'm definitely bumping it up the list now! Great review!

Tanja - Tanychy  – (9 april 2013 om 00:11)  

I feel like an idiot! I have this book sitting on my shelf for months and I still haven't read it. I have no idea why but I'll soon. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it too. Great review :)

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP