How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
Release date:  November, 2004
Pages: 194
Source: Borrowed

Part of:
Dystopian challenge

My Feelings:



Description:
Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

A riveting and astonishing story.

My Review:
To be honest, I hadn’t heard a lot about this book, but when I recently found out it was dystopian I looked  it up at the library. You know me, I have a new thing for dystopia! & then ... I read some reviews at goodreads, which were really raving about the book and my expectations got high.
Never a good thing!

The characters are all right. They don’t really stand out for me, or do anything for me. I felt Daisy was a troubled teenager, a girl with an eating disorder and an outsider. Her niece and nephews were very nice. The thing I didn’t get was the connection she had with one of her cousins. It was just too weird for me. Also I didn’t get him. Was he some kind of rebel? Smoking on fourteen? I don’t get it. And why would the aunt leave them alone? Yes, I know there was a war going on, but couldn't she leave them with a friend? 

The plot is okay. It’s not the best plot ever, but it’s okay. Halfway in I did wanted to put the book down. The *love* thing irritated me and the whole let’s go find them started to get repetitive.

How I Live Now wasn’t for me. I thought I would really like it, but I just didn’t. I recommend borrowing the book at the library! 

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (15 mei 2013 om 14:19)  

Aw... too bad you didn't like it. Dystopian can be a hard genre to connect with the characters. Hopefully your next will be better!

Nina  – (17 mei 2013 om 04:15)  

@Melissa: Yeah, I thought I would really enjoy it. :)

Joanna  – (17 mei 2013 om 05:52)  

I didn't like this one either. The whole cousin thing creeped me out.

YA Book Queen  – (19 mei 2013 om 11:42)  

How disappointing. That's too bad that it wasn't a bit better!

A Canadian Girl  – (19 mei 2013 om 23:07)  

Oh yeah, I think I read one review of this one and they mentioned Daisy falling for her cousin ... which is weird and gross! Lol, I'll be avoiding this one.

krweinert.com  – (1 juni 2013 om 10:14)  

My copy was from the library and it's quite a sad little read. Not my favourite, but I admire the complexity of the characters - the way the act, think and feel.

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP