Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Release date: January, 2011
Pages: 435
Source: Bought

My feelings:



Description:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

My Review:
I have waited a long time to read this book. Why? Because of the cliff-hangers. So, I wanted to get all of the books and read them at once. But after some time I only bought the first book and I'm glad I stopped there. This book was a let down for me and I won’t be reading the rest of the series.

The characters were okay. Just okay! The main character is Clara and she annoyed me. A lot. I'm not even sure why she had such a negative affect on me, but she just did. The pages where she spend time with her mother and brother were fantastic. I loved the relationship between them, it was realistic and really warm.

The main reason why I didn't liked the book was because it lacked action. A lot of daily school life and little of the supernatural. It also lacked in the supernatural department. When Clara was learning to deal with her flying abilities and her new best friend the book did had me reading faster and further.  I just needed a more supernatural elements or a mix of it with action.

As I said I won’t be reading the second book in the Unearthly series. I made a new rule for myself (I'll explain in a seperate post) I only read sequels when the first book blows me out of the water! And Unearthly didn’t do that at all. 

Kindlemom  – (29 mei 2014 om 07:22)  

If the main character annoys you then it can be so hard to connect to the rest of the book. I am sorry you didn't like this one more. I actually really did but I understand why you didn't. Angel books are so hit and miss for me, I rarely like them.

Nina  – (29 mei 2014 om 08:11)  

@Kindlemom: I agree! I haven't read a lot of Angel books, but the ones I've read were just okay. I do need to find a great one! :)

Megan R  – (29 mei 2014 om 09:52)  

Too bad this one wasn't for you. I really liked it, but I fairly "High school" for a lot of the books, so I can see where you're coming from. Not worth reading the sequel then I think.

Nina  – (29 mei 2014 om 10:20)  

@Megan R: I really thought I would love this book, but I just ended up finding it an okay book. Def. not reading the sequel. I'm glad you liked it! :)

Melliane  – (29 mei 2014 om 11:00)  

Oh I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you thought... It's always sad when it ends up like that. I haven't tried the series but who knows, maybe one day...

Faye M.  – (29 mei 2014 om 11:03)  

Awww, I'm sorry this didn't work for you, love. I read this one last year and love to the moon and back, but I can totally understand why it didn't work for you. In this book nothing really happens at first - you have to wait for a while for it play out (pretty much second and third book are pretty action-packed). Hopefully one day you'll find it in your heart to try the next books! <3

Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

Blodeuedd  – (29 mei 2014 om 11:43)  

I am sadly a bit over YA with girls in pretty dresses

Nina  – (29 mei 2014 om 11:49)  

@Melliane: Me too! :(

@Faye: Oh no! Really? Hmmm, maybe when I can get them for a very cheap price. :)

Nina  – (29 mei 2014 om 11:50)  

@Blodeuedd: Yes, I agree! We need more different covers. :)

Kelsey  – (29 mei 2014 om 12:09)  

I still haven't read this one either, but I'm sorry it wasn't what you hoped it would be! That's a good rule about not reading the sequels, looking forward to that post!

Nina  – (29 mei 2014 om 12:23)  

@Kelsey: Thanx! & maybe I can just borrow the sequels (from the books I didn't love) from the library or buy them when they are super cheap. New rule! Lol. :)

Reviews from a Bookworm  – (30 mei 2014 om 06:54)  

Thanks for the honest review. Have been thinking of reading this for a while now but definitely think I will skip it. I don't like books that are really slow paced and lacking action. I also prefer characters that are way more than just okay ;) Will definitely be skipping this one.

The Readdicts  – (30 mei 2014 om 08:31)  

I agree that waiting till all the books are out in the series is a good way to go where cliffhangers are concerned. I wasn't blown away by Unearthly either and so I just read the first book like you :)

Janhvi @ The Readdicts

Michelle@Book Briefs  – (30 mei 2014 om 08:46)  

I can't believe that I have waited so long to read this series either. I am sorry it was a let down for you. Maybe it is a good thing that I don't have plans to read this one anytime soon.

I don't think I would be able to get over an annoying main character. If I can't connect to her, I doubt I would be able to connect to the story.

Great review.

Michelle @ Book Briefs

Nina  – (30 mei 2014 om 09:11)  

@Review from a Bookworm:
I def. want to invest my time in the characters and try to relate to them. But, I just couldn't with this character. Maybe try it someday when you can find it for a bargain price. :)

@The Readdicts:
Yeah, def. going to do that! I just can't deal with cliffies. :)

Nina  – (30 mei 2014 om 09:13)  

@Michelle:
I agree, def. need to connect with at least one of the characters. I've waited a long time as well. Just too many books, right? :)

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (30 mei 2014 om 12:10)  

I liked this one well enough and I do want to continue it, but yea, I agree with what you say here. Sorry it didn't blow you out of that water! :)

A Canadian Girl  – (30 mei 2014 om 19:21)  

Aw, it's too bad you didn't like Unearthly, Nina. I've only read the first two books in the series - still need to read the third - but I definitely thought Unearthly was stronger than the sequel. What did you think of Tucker though?

Sharrice Hewlett  – (31 mei 2014 om 10:47)  

Oh I'm so sorry this book didn't work out for you. I totally understand about not liking a character. I honestly think that I could take a crap load of action and a kick ass character who blows me away than have amazing writing. I have all three books so I am hoping they're not a dud for me as well. Great review!

Sharrice Hewlett  – (31 mei 2014 om 10:47)  

Oh I'm so sorry this book didn't work out for you. I totally understand about not liking a character. I honestly think that I could take a crap load of action and a kick ass character who blows me away than have amazing writing. I have all three books so I am hoping they're not a dud for me as well. Great review!

Sharrice Hewlett  – (31 mei 2014 om 10:47)  

Oh I'm so sorry this book didn't work out for you. I totally understand about not liking a character. I honestly think that I could take a crap load of action and a kick ass character who blows me away than have amazing writing. I have all three books so I am hoping they're not a dud for me as well. Great review!

Nina  – (2 juni 2014 om 11:10)  

@Melissa: Haha! I'm still floating here. :)

@A Canadian Girl: He was just okay. I didn't find him swoon-worthy or anything. Just an okay character. Nothing special about Tucker.

@Sharrice Hewlett: No worries! Me too! I appreciate a kick-ass character! A character that can holds my attention! :)

Alexa  – (2 juni 2014 om 14:32)  

That is too bad that the characters were not working for you. I have this on my shelf as well waiting to be read. I also waited until the entire series was out but I only own the first two books. I'm glad I didn't buy the last one yet and waste money if I don't end up liking this one.

Thanks for the great review!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages)  – (3 juni 2014 om 18:09)  

Oh bummer. So sorry the book didn't work for you after the waiting. :(

Nina  – (4 juni 2014 om 17:46)  

@Alexa:
A new rule for me is that aswell. Just have to wait untill the sequel is out and then start a new series. :) I hate waiting!

@Melissa: Totally a bummer. I was looking forward enjoying this series!

Angela's Anxious Life  – (4 juni 2014 om 20:54)  

I just couldn't get into this book. I love that it took place in Jackson Hole .. that was fun to read about. Especially since I was just about to go on a trip there. I didn't continue on with the series myself.

Nina  – (5 juni 2014 om 11:23)  

@Angela's Anxious Life:
That must have been lots of fun! I didn't even remember the place from the book. :) Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP