Doll Bones by Holly Black

Doll Bones by Holly Black
Release date: May, 2013
Pages: 247
Source: Bought

My feelings: 



Description:
Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for ever. They love playing with their action figure toys, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach’s father throws out all his toys, declaring he’s too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing . . . and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one night the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about a series of mysterious occurrences. Poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll – who claims that it is made from the ground-up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lived, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity.

My Review:
A story about a doll that’s made of ground-up bones? Yep, sounds like a story I would enjoy. And I did!

The characters are great. You have Zach, the boy who’s hiding a secret from his friends, Poppy, the girl who just wants to help the doll and pretend everything is going to be just fine & Alice, the sarcastic one, the non-believer of the group. I liked each and everyone of the group. They all have their own different background story and character trades.

The story did not wow’ed me, but it was still very enjoyable. I thought the story would be a bit more creepier. I mean, being haunted by a doll does sounds pretty creepy, doesn’t it? The actual storyline is more about the characters and their growth. Zach’s character in particular, in the end he has changed into a more confident, strong boy.

So all in all, Doll Bones is a great coming of age story and will appeal to everyone who loves adventurous middle grade books. Just don’t expect it to be scary or creepy, because it really isn’t. 

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (16 juni 2014 om 13:21)  

Oh I wanted to read this one, but I was turned down. Will have to pick this one up at the library for sure! Great review.

Kelsey  – (16 juni 2014 om 16:41)  

This one sounds interesting! I'm glad you liked the characters, even though it wasn't as creepy as you had hoped! Nice review

Nina  – (16 juni 2014 om 16:57)  

@Melissa:
Oh, def. pick it up! It was such an adventurous read. You'll love it.

@Kelsey:
It is! I probably would have liked it a bit more if it was creepier. But, stil very enjoyable. :)

Kindlemom  – (16 juni 2014 om 18:27)  

This actually sounds like a great read and one that I really think my girls would like. I need to look into this one more.

Emma  – (16 juni 2014 om 19:58)  

The summary makes it sound so creepy, but since you say it's not *too* creepy, I might have to pick this one up! I was looking to pick it up, but didn't want to have to check behind the curtains every time I got up in the night after reading!

Michelle@Book Briefs  – (17 juni 2014 om 10:13)  

whoa! Ground up bones? creepy! I had no idea that Holly Black wrote this book. It is completely new to me.

It looks pretty cool

Great Review!

Michelle @ Book Briefs

Nina  – (17 juni 2014 om 11:32)  

@Kindlemom:
I hope your girls will enjoy the book.

@Emma:
Oh no, you def. won't be doing that! Not creepy at all.

@Michelle:
I know, right? This is my first Holly Black book, but it's pretty good writing. :)

Blodeuedd  – (17 juni 2014 om 12:33)  

Ugh, creepy way to make a doll. But hey I like the sound of it

Nina  – (17 juni 2014 om 12:43)  

@Blodeuedd:
I agree! Totally creepy!

Nina  – (17 juni 2014 om 16:55)  

@Braine TS:
Yes, yes very! :)

A Canadian Girl  – (18 juni 2014 om 04:26)  

I think the cover of this one makes it seem creepier than it is. I haven't read Doll Bones yet but I've got it saved in my TBR pile for when I'm in the read for something enjoyable that doesn't make me think too much :)

Rashika  – (18 juni 2014 om 04:54)  

It isn't scary and creepy? .-. That makes me sad because I love creepy.

I have had my eye on this one yet but I am waiting for 'the right moment'. I probably will end up reading it though because the cover demands to be read :P (sorry I have a thing for pretty covers :P)

Fantastic review, Nina!! :)

Rashika @ The Social Potato

The Readdicts  – (18 juni 2014 om 07:45)  

Oh I can't believe I hadn't seen Doll Bones before. I haven't read anything by Holly Black but I really want to. Thanks for sharing :)

Janhvi @ The Readdicts

Nina  – (18 juni 2014 om 13:49)  

@A Canadian Girl:
Yes, it's best to read when you need something for a couple of hours and think of nothing but adventures. :) I hope you'll enjoy it.

@Rashika:
Don't apologize, I have a thing for pretty covers as well. lol. Thank you Rashika!

@The Readdicts:
This is the first book that I've read written by Holly Black and I'm sure I will enjoy her other books as well. Her writing style is pretty amazing. :)

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP