45 pounds by K.A. Barson

45 pounds by K.A. Barson
Release date: July, 2013
Pages: 320
Source: Bought

My feelings:





Description:
Here are the numbers of Ann Galardi’s life:
She is 16.
And a size 17.
Her perfect mother is a size 6.
Her Aunt Jackie is getting married in 10 weeks, and wants Ann to be her bridesmaid.
So Ann makes up her mind: Time to lose 45 pounds (more or less) in 2 1/2 months.

Welcome to the world of infomercial diet plans, wedding dance lessons, embarrassing run-ins with the cutest guy Ann’s ever seen—-and some surprises about her NOT-so-perfect mother. 

My Review:
45 pounds is all about the struggles of a teenage girl called Ann. The biggest struggle she has is with her weight. Ann is very insecure and a big part of the reason why she's so insecure is because of her mother. When you read the book, you totally understand why. I can understand that as a mother you want your daughter to be healthy and not overweight. But, the way the mother tries to achieve that is just terrible! If I was Ann, I would be so stressed out. And therefore I could understand the choices Ann made, but they were always the wrong choices. Very frustrating to read!

45 pounds is a book that made me think about our relationship with food. Especially teenagers and how a lot of them are dealing with their problems by dieting or bing eating and slowly are devoloping an eating disorder. And how easily you can be influenced by people around you.


Because 45 pounds gave me some frustrations while reading it, I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5. 
I do recommend 45 pounds and I hope more readers will give this book a try. 

'Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images' by Cheri K.Erdman.

Just Another Girl and Her Books  – (3 november 2017 om 14:01)  

Based on your review, I feel like this is a book I should maybe read before my daughter enters her teenage years (so I can avoid making the mistakes Ann's mother makes). Great review. - Katie

Sakuranko  – (3 november 2017 om 15:22)  

I am not sure If I would like read about teenagers and frustrations and insecurities like this book promise that has to be. But great review
xx

bermudaonion  – (3 november 2017 om 17:28)  

This sounds like it's worth reading but I have to wonder where her mother was when Ann was gaining all that weight.

Carole Wooten  – (3 november 2017 om 19:49)  

This sounds really interesting. The mother daughter relationship in this one sounds like there are a few issues.

Literary Feline  – (3 november 2017 om 21:55)  

I already feel for Ann. Poor girl. As someone who has struggled with my weight all my life, I can somewhat relate. I try to be so careful with my daughter when it comes to discussions about weight. It's not so difficult right now because she's still so young, but as she gets older, I know it will become tougher. Our society places so much importance on weight--and not always for the right reasons.

Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads  – (4 november 2017 om 05:33)  

This sounds really interesting, I think the mother-daughter relationship sounds very intriguing, though a bit frustrating as well :)

Nina  – (4 november 2017 om 06:35)  

@Just Another Girl and Her Books: It's really a great book. It made me really think how easily it is to be influenced and influence others with your eating habbits.

@Sakuranko: I don't read a lot of these kind of books, but I really enjoyed reading this story. Maybe you can borrow it at the library when you feel like reading something different. :) Thank you for commenting.

@bermudaonion: She was there. I think the way she dealt with the 'problem' was telling Ann how much food she ate and that she had to stop. But, that of course did not help. :(

@Carole Wooten: Yes, quite a few.

Nina  – (4 november 2017 om 06:39)  

@Literary Feline: Yes, I totally agree. These days everything is about weight & food. Now there is this new trend all about green food and a lot of teenagers (at the school where I work) are eating lots of healthy food, salads etc. That's really great, but hopefully they get enough of everything.

@Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads: Very frustrating! Sometimes while reading the story I wished I could just give her a 'wake-up' shake! :)

Blodeuedd  – (4 november 2017 om 11:43)  

Dunno about frustrating, but it still might work for me :)

Nikki Walters  – (4 november 2017 om 16:22)  

Urgh, I don't think I could read this. I had a friend who was anorexic throughout our teens, and her mother just wouldn't listen. I used to worry myself sick! Still, it sounds like it handles it all pretty well!

Verushka Byrow  – (4 november 2017 om 16:38)  

I understand your frustrations with this one, but I also like that this explores a mother-daughter relationship well, even if it is frustrating, especially because it is about weight. It sounds like it's realistic in some ways, because mothers and daughters will indeed frustrate each other too. Excellent review, and thanks for putting this on my radar!

Midnight Cowgirl  – (4 november 2017 om 17:17)  

I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a frustrating read, but this does sound interesting!

The Readdicts  – (5 november 2017 om 01:44)  

Oooh I hadn't seen this book before. I do seem to enjoy books which deal with body image issues well. Will defnitely check it out. Thanks for your review Nina :)

Janhvi @ The Readdicts

Nina  – (5 november 2017 om 03:20)  

@Nikki Walters: I hope everthing turned well for your friend.

@Verushka Byrow: Yes, that's true! Mother daughter relationships are usually like that, frustrating.

@Midnight Cowgirl: I know how ya feel! :)

@The Readdicts Then you will really enjoy reading this book! I hope you pick it up. :)

Suzanne at The Bookish Libra  – (6 november 2017 om 14:56)  

This sounds like a really interesting read, although the mother daughter relationship sounds so frustrating. Great review!

Kindlemom  – (6 november 2017 om 15:34)  

So glad you loved this so much, it actually sounds like a great read!

Sara @ Forever 17 Books  – (7 november 2017 om 05:16)  

Ah, the constant battle with food, especially as a teen and as you are learning to accept yourself with all the social pressures. I haven't read this one but I must admit it sounds incredibly relatable. THanks for sharing!

Nina  – (7 november 2017 om 11:10)  

@Suzanne: Very frustrating!

@Kindlemom: It really is, at times just a bit frustrating.

@Sara: You're welcome.

Een reactie plaatsen

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP